Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Problem, Advice needed

Problem, Advice needed

Postby richardlionheart » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:15 am

We are on our way to Alicante area, emigration. The plan was to have sold our house in Uk and arrive in Spain with a wodge of money in the bank. However, there has been a delay in the sale, we will have limited cash for a while.

We are arriving in a 1993 english plate german built LH drive Hymer Ducati Camper Van 4 berth. We paid £5500 for it in UK. What we need to do is sell this to keep us going while we resolve house sale.

How do I go about selling this vehicle in Spain ? How would i insure a car if i bought a cheap spanish plated one?
richardlionheart

Location: not cold grey expensive police state UK, thank god.

Re: Problem, Advice needed

Postby Spiritsmum » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:53 am

only a suggestion but you can live in your camper in Florentilles camp site while you resolve things it may be easier for you than trying to sell it as it could take time to sell...good luck
Spiritsmum

Which part of Spain are you from?: Doña Pepa

Postby Sara19 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:23 pm

Most Used Car Sales Company's would probably take it off your hands, Otherwise would have to sell privately & then as above would take a while to sell.
You need Padron & NIE to buy a spanish car, again the used car sale companies would be able to assist - might even take your motorhome in as part exchange?? Worth a try.
Can recommend Rightmove Insurance in Quesada - Lovely ladies in the office & always happy to help.
Good Luck
Sara19

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby cogsie » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:47 pm

Try Venus cars at torremendo, they buy and sell camper vans
cogsie

Which part of Spain are you from?: dona pepa

Postby richardlionheart » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:08 pm

ok thanks for replies, house sale managed to complete, pressure off, but still want to sell it and buy an estate car and a small touring caravan. Its german built, LHD, LH headlamps, Should be easy to put onto spanish plates? does putting it on spanish plates increase the value beyond the cost/make it more sellable?
richardlionheart

Postby PeteKnight » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:03 pm

Sara19 states that you need Padron and NIE to buy a Spanish car. That’s not true, you don’t need to be on the Padron to buy s car. However, shen you do sign on to the Padron it starts the clock ticking on the window for being able to import your personal possions (including a vehicle) tax free. I believe you need to have owned the vehicle for 6 months to qualify.

I doubt that you’ll get much for your camper as it stands, but re-registered onto Spanish plates it should make considerably more. I would normally advise against doing this for RHD cars, as the resale value will be minimal, but for a LHD it’s a different story - especially if the headlamps are taken care of.

The only drawbacks might be getting the vehicle approved, and the ITV frequency.
The Spanish are very particular about any modifications to a vehicle - even fitting a towbar can cause real issues in homologation. It depends how your camper conversion has been done and what paperwork you have for it.
Commercial vehicles over 10 years of age need an ITV test every 6 months, which tends to put potential buyers off. As your camper is based on a commercial chassis you may find that it also needs 6 monthly tests.

I’d start by talking to Graham at http://spanish-number-plates.com seeing what he says. Is also ask a few dealers what they give you as a trade-in price against a used car.
You may find that the best option is to sell it in the UK.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby scubydoo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:58 am

As Pete says Graham or Leigh are the men to speak to they know the ins and outs of importation.
scubydoo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby jpeg » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:21 am

You could also call at the Engineers office across the road from the ITV in Torrevieja for advice they will do all the papers for you
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby richardlionheart » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:18 pm

well we are on our way to spain in it, never to return to UK, so selling it in uK isnt an option. Its german built, it has left hand headlamps as well as LHD. We bought it in late june. We have found a company who will put it onto spanish plates for a fee. Im hoping to sell it for enought to cover the purchase cost, the plating /itv costs and a bit of profit to pay the removal men whove brought our stuff over.
richardlionheart