Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Rubberized Roof Terrace Paint

Re: Rubberized Roof Terrace Paint

Postby daz » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:57 am

Your tiles look very similar to mine, my place was built before yours and definitely has a membrane, so unless your builder was totally shameless, I would be surprised if yours didn’t. I used an angle grinder on my grout lines, square meter at a time, and eventually at my leisure I did a complete regrout. I don’t have any pics but it was worth while, no tacky looking paint, and peace of mind it is waterproof. But it depends on your time constraints, and if you ever sell, how suspicious buyers would be when they see a bodge job of goo all over the roof.

My knees are painful when kneeling down too long, so I was lucky enough to find a broken plastic chair. I cut the legs down by about half, slightly longer at the back so it tilted me forward, and used this as a seat so I could easily reach to work on the tiles. I like DIY though, not everybody does.
daz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Postby GLASSMAN » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:07 am

Ian2009 wrote:Glassman - would you regrout it yourself as it is so difficult to get anyone to do such a fiddly job and at my age the thought of a couple of days on my knees doing this is not appealing! Just wondered if anyone had actually found a tradesman who would tackle a regrout?
yes I am considering doing it myself, just getting round to it , don't think the joints on mine are wide enough to take an angle ginder to take the old grout out, so it will be labour intensive, but if you do it your self and take my time and use the best material's available ,I,m sure it will be as good as any tradesmans job,But I,m sure there are tradesmen out there who will give you a qoute,I don't think that people realize ,that's its a big job ,and see it as you say a fiddly job,and don't realize/understand the cost when they receive a quote,theres a lot of back work involved depending on the size of the area, mines 30m3 approx.,so would be more than a few days work for ones self.But certainly would try a re-grout first before ,slapping on rubberised paint that would difficult to remove at a later date if needed to be,
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby TonTri » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:48 am

Have you thought of asking Don Aluminio or Davinia builders for a quote? Both are reputable and well recommended builders and the price might be better than you think. Could be worth it to save your back and your knees.
TonTri

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Ian2009 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:12 am

We are 75km inland now so would only use local town builder/tradesman but I honestly don't think "trades people" want to do it as it is as Glassman said - but with the tips from Daz I think I will have a go myself (I have 3 spare plastic chairs to cut down - knew I was right to keep them!!) - I will start in an area not in the eye line - but won't use an angle grinder either. Glassman - I have used a little tool before for "patching" a roof terrace in Turkey - called Vitrex Grout Out - look on ebay - and it was surprisingly good - needed another spare set of blades but it cut through the old grout like butter and although there is a lot more to do here - it is worth buying one and a few spare cutting tool heads to save the blisters!
Ian2009

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dońa Pepa

Postby Ian2009 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:25 am

Ian2009

Postby Mac3blade » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:01 pm

This post has shocked me! Is your terrace where your loungers are I.e. your solarium? We have never even thought about having to re grout ours in all the years we have been coming and going. To date, we have had no leaks even after the most torrential rain showers. Do most people weather proof their solariums? I always thought it was enough bother having to store the loungers without having to regroup the whole roof.
I await your advise....please, no horror stories!
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby Ian2009 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:33 pm

I am no expert but it depends on the build quality - when we were in Quesada - Euromarina had built our place and the quality appeared to be very good. Previously in Turkey for 12 years - with similar style properties - the grout would start to crack after 10 year's of unrelenting sun and winter rains. If your builder had put a membrane down before laying the tiles - you might get away with it for a long time (many, many more years) as although some water ingress occurred - the sun usually came out at some point and keeps drying out the smallish amount of water held on the membrane. If no membrane you start to see damp patches on your ceiling and you know you have to act.

One of our respected local tradesman said to me "wait until you see some damp on your ceiling - then we let it dry out and deal with it" - probably sensible advice but we Brits like to create a crisis where we can - or maybe its just me!!!
Ian2009

Postby jpeg » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:41 pm

You can use an electric drill to chase the old grout out just get a good drill bit that fits the grove
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby GLASSMAN » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:51 pm

AH! good idea, might spur me on to make a start,thanks for the tip, ;)
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby daz » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:28 pm

Reply to glassman, if the info is of use, the reason why I used an angle grinder was for the very reason of not having a wide groove for grout. With the tiles butted up to close to each other there was barely any room to get a substantial amount of grout to the depth of in between the tiles, hence why the original grout probably did not stay where it should have. For me, as it turned out, the look afterwards was rewarding, knowing I had done a thorough job without retiling, and as it’s also been suggested, is very labour intensive. Good luck in what ever you decide.
daz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

PreviousNext