Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Rubberized Roof Terrace Paint

Re: Rubberized Roof Terrace Paint

Postby Ian2009 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:48 pm

:text-goodpost:
Ian2009

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dońa Pepa

Postby GrahamR » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:00 am

Hi, I am no expert but I need to regrout our bathroom in the UK. I noticed on the UK Screwfix site there is a small electric drill and bits specifically for removing grout. Maybe you could get similar, or special drill bits to work on a normal electric drill? Good luck!
GrahamR

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby GLASSMAN » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:14 am

daz wrote:Reply to glassman, if the info is of use, the reason why I used an angle grinder was for the very reason of not having a wide groove for grout. With the tiles butted up to close to each other there was barely any room to get a substantial amount of grout to the depth of in between the tiles, hence why the original grout probably did not stay where it should have. For me, as it turned out, the look afterwards was rewarding, knowing I had done a thorough job without retiling, and as it’s also been suggested, is very labour intensive. Good luck in what ever you decide.
just made a closer inspection of my roof /solarium tiles,some are close together with hardly any gap and some would take a drill bit, so it looks like angle grinder for some and a drill bit for others,nothing ever straight forward,i think my tiles must have been laid after they the builders,had been for M.D.D and a liter of wine,thanks for the tips ……..
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby Ian2009 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:26 am

GrahamR - that’s the one I referred to earlier on in the discussion - I have used it and it was very good. I had to do short bursts of no more than 10 mins as I was concerned it might overheat with continued use but it did work ok for “patching” in my previous experience.

Ian2009 wrote:This can be bought for £18 on eBay

https://www.screwfix.com/p/vitrex-grout ... over/75540
Ian2009

Postby daz » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:17 pm

For me, the scary bit about using a drill bit or drill attachments of any description is every time it rotates it self out of the groove risks scuffing up the tiles surface. I would end up replacing more tiles than I save lol. My aim and hands wouldn’t be steady enough to use that style. Plus with a small drill bit they would be snapping easily too.

Also, regardless of the irregularities in my tiles spacing, I found that the angle grinder left consistent parallel sides of the groove, that are simply the width that of the grinder steel disc, approx 3 or 4 mm. So it actually gave the appearance that my tiles had been laid better than they actually had.
daz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Postby Ian2009 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:31 pm

Daz - you've convinced me - next trip to Screwfix will get a cheap one and a couple of discs - I am a little concerned it might make a bit of a din - but I will do it at reasonable times and in short bursts which is probably better for me and the machine as well as the neighbours !

daz wrote:For me, the scary bit about using a drill bit or drill attachments of any description is every time it rotates it self out of the groove risks scuffing up the tiles surface. I would end up replacing more tiles than I save lol. My aim and hands wouldn’t be steady enough to use that style. Plus with a small drill bit they would be snapping easily too.

Also, regardless of the irregularities in my tiles spacing, I found that the angle grinder left consistent parallel sides of the groove, that are simply the width that of the grinder steel disc, approx 3 or 4 mm. So it actually gave the appearance that my tiles had been laid better than they actually had.
Ian2009

Postby Jan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:34 pm

When they were building our quad house 14 years ago we took a trip to see it in progress and were able to see the membrane on the roof before the tiles were put down. It was quite substantial but I would be worried about using an angle grinder or similar as it could pierce the membrane and cause leaks that may not ever happen otherwise.Personally I would just repair any grout that looks 'not so good' by just using a small screwdriver or similar to scrape out any loose grout and put new grout in and leave any that seems OK .
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby Ian2009 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:41 pm

:text-goodpost:

I did think I would need to be careful but certainly you could end up making it worse!
Ian2009

Postby daz » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:48 pm

No probs ian2009, glad u found the info useful, I’m chuffed with the way mine looks compared to how it was. The membrane on mine is 10mm deep at the very least, they would need to have a layer of something on top of a rough laid membrane to make it flat enough to tile on. Good luck with yours
daz

Postby daz » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:11 pm

Ian2009 wrote::text-goodpost:

I did think I would need to be careful but certainly you could end up making it worse!

My membrane is approx 50mm deep under a layer of screed, so there was no chance of ever catching it with the edge of a measly 4 n a quarter inch angle grinder disc. I now have a before and after pic of a section of what I did, angle grinder created neat parallel gaps to the depth of the tiles, regardless of how irregular they had been laid, now with new grout and watertight for another few years. How did u get on with yours?
daz

PreviousNext