Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Break-ins whilst not in residence/holiday homes

Re: Break-ins whilst not in residence/holiday homes

Postby GrahamR » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:49 pm

We have a holiday home here on a community. If anything happened, it would be heard and we would be informed. We are insured through our Spanish bank.
Probably, like most people with holiday homes, we have a safe but do not keep anything of real value here. TV, dinner table, beds, fridge, washing machine. Little that an opportunist thief would be very interested in.
We are security conscious though and although we have never had a burglary, we keep the perimeter gates locked and the security grills locked if we are upstairs. Nothing of value is on show.
I think most opportunist thieves will take a chance if a gate is unlocked and they can run in and steal a purse, phone or camera let laying around.
I think there is more chance of being robbed when you are in attendance rather than if you are away.
GrahamR

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby JohnES » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:07 pm

The most important feature to fit is a burglar alarm which is visible from the street. Also a sign on the outside wall which states 'Alarma Conectada' . Someone has already mentioned that burglars will target what they think are easy houses to break into. Seeing a house alarm will put them off.
JohnES

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby PGA » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:30 pm

Thanks all.

I haven't had a house alarm for a long while and memories of them were unreliable things that people ended up giving little regard to due to their unreliability. I assume technology has moved on and they are now more stable?!

Can anyone give an idea of alarm installation costs and for those who have them the monthly/annual costs of a monitored alarm service with police notification etc? :text-thankyouyellow:
PGA

Postby Chrisdee » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:36 pm

I had a new one fitted about 6 months ago, (the company replaced the old one for a new modern one. It cost us around 38 euros a month. For that we have 3 sensors that when they are activated they will take a photo and send it to the centre, the centre will call us and ask us our code word, if we give it wrongly they will contact the police and the police came to the house. My parents had the police arrive twice as they set the alarm off by leaving the window open and the curtains blew about and set the alarm off). We have also got the app on our phones so we can check ourselves by looking at the 3 rooms the cameras are in and we can turn it on and turn it off or just check the status of it. You can have extra sensors added, on the doors, windows and extra cameras if you wish but that would be extran. You also get a large metalic label for the front door and back door and smaller ones which you stick on windows
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby PGA » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:49 pm

Thanks Chrisdee - have PM'ed you.
PGA

Previous