Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Medication problem

Medication problem

Postby richardlionheart » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:00 am

My wife is running out od medications. She takes three different pills including Ramipril, used to lower blood pressure.

when we were in UK, i saved mine up, only taking meds every other day, so i managed to arrive with a good 6 months stash. she was nor so wise, and only has about 6 weeks worth left

The S1 forms have just arrived, but im told it still might take months to get health care meds here.

So, how do we go about getting more meds for her? Can we buy them over the counter at a pharmacy, or do we need a prescription, how would we get that?
richardlionheart

Location: not cold grey expensive police state UK, thank god.

Re: Medication problem

Postby broph » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 am

Best thing is to go to a pharmacy taking each item of required medication and ask the pharmacist. In most cases they can be bought without prescription , but not all.
You will have to pay and again the pharmacist will advise you.
I had a similar iss last year and got each of my six medications without any problem albeit it cost me 125 euro for two months supply. The pharmacy that I used was by the large Carrefour Torrevieja it's the small row of shops as you enter the car park opposite end to the fuel station.
broph

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby marcliff » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:11 am

Are you in Quesada or the Rojales catchment area? Your location doesn't say.
If you are then you could have already registered at the Rojales town hall (the lady there is very helpful but only there a couple of mornings a week) and got a temporary SIP card until the S1 forms arrived.
If you take the S1 forms there she will give you a temp card straight away. The permanent card will be issued by the health service and could take a month or so to arrive but the temp card will give you full access to the doctors and issuing of prescriptions.

It doesn't take months to get on to the system, just that the production of the permanent card can take a while. You may have to pay for the prescriptions to start with until your NHS number is linked to your tax number.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby richardlionheart » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:14 am

were on Toretta III in Torrevieja

I thought we needed padron first to register the S1? And wont I need a spanish speaker with me to do this?
Last edited by richardlionheart on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
richardlionheart

Postby marcliff » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:16 am

Then go to your local health centre. Most places in Torrevieja do it that way. Again, they will register you and issue you a temporary card. They will also apply for your permanent card and you will need a copy of your padron certificate.
Many things in Spain are difficult to do but getting on the health system was one of the easiest.
marcliff

Postby dr.doolittle » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:31 am

I have one and a half boxes of Ramipril 2.5 mg you can have as i no longer need them.sorry 2 boxes one has 28 in other has 27 in it.
dr.doolittle

Postby richardlionheart » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:39 am

seems to be two near us:

Polyclinic IMED Torrevieja
Centro Comercial Ozone, Avda. De Rosa Mazón Valero, s/n
+34 966 81 74 06
Open ⋅ Closes 8PM

J.M. Paz Fajardo Centro Medico Internacional
Urbanización Jardin del Mar 2, Calle Francisco Atienza Ferrandez, 47
+34 653 80 27 85

both next to Carrefour. Is there any difference between them? The J M Paz advertises as an english speaking doctor.
richardlionheart

Postby marcliff » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:52 am

I've no idea of what those medical centres are. Be careful, though, as they may be private practices and not the Spanish NHS ones.
Have you asked any of your neighbours which clinic they use?
You may find that the clinic in La Siesta covers your area as they are responsible for almost 30 urbanisations in the area. If you click the box that says "Click here your urbanization" then all the Torretas come up as being covered there.

La Siesta Medical
marcliff

Postby richardlionheart » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:07 am

ah this one then?

Clinica La Siesta
Address: Calle Rossini, 1, 03184 Torrevieja, Alicante

https://her.is/2PN8skY
richardlionheart

Postby Janjan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:23 pm

There are a lot of British People who live in La Siesta so I would definitely go there if you can.
Janjan

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada area

Next