Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

metal or something similar

Re: metal or something similar

Postby richardlionheart » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:11 pm

Yes, you wont work stainless steel with standard tools, they need to make every cut and every hole for you, unless you happen to possess a 25kW laser cutter....
richardlionheart

Location: not cold grey expensive police state UK, thank god.

Postby GLASSMAN » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:07 am

stainless steel can be cut with precision with a hacksaw, albeit with a quality blade,and drilled with a normal drill using the correct bits , my father only work with stainless steel all his life, some of his work is still around on the nuclear subs,and that's 45years ago,
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby willemite » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:11 am

Hi
Well I’ve a lot of places to visit this morning.
Will update this site when we get back.
Thanks to everyone for their help.
willemite

Which part of Spain are you from?: catral

Update metal or something similar

Postby willemite » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:37 am

Hi we have found a small yard in Doloros next door to what use to be Fairways Inn. They can do it to size with the bend in steel (thin) for 26e. Could have had aluminium but he said steel was better and only 5e cheaper. Collect it tomorrow. What a great price and speedy service from this shall Spanish company.
Another place to add to the list.
Thanks again to everyone for your help.
willemite

Which part of Spain are you from?: catral

Postby richardlionheart » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:20 pm

GLASSMAN wrote:stainless steel can be cut with precision with a hacksaw, albeit with a quality blade,and drilled with a normal drill using the correct bits , my father only work with stainless steel all his life, some of his work is still around on the nuclear subs,and that's 45years ago,

Barely. The density of Stainless steel is 7.7g/cc and he best quality tool steel you can buy is 7.85g/cc. In practice this is only the best top quality professional tools. The sort of hacksaws and drill bits you get at Aki or Leroy Merlin are nowhere near this, and will fail dismally. Drilling stainless also needs you to start the hole with a very fine dot punch, otherwise the drill cant start, even 1mm drills. Working stainless is beyond the capability of most people. Plus ofc it work hardens, which makes the problem worse. The trick to drilling stainless steel is in the speed of the drill bit, you have to keep it slow.
richardlionheart

Location: not cold grey expensive police state UK, thank god.

Postby JohnES » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:37 am

The problem with ordinary steel is that it will rust, especially with the humidity we have here. It will need painting but you can blend it in with your surroundings. You may have thought of this already.
JohnES

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby GLASSMAN » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:46 am

richardlionheart wrote:
GLASSMAN wrote:stainless steel can be cut with precision with a hacksaw, albeit with a quality blade,and drilled with a normal drill using the correct bits , my father only work with stainless steel all his life, some of his work is still around on the nuclear subs,and that's 45years ago,

Barely. The density of Stainless steel is 7.7g/cc and he best quality tool steel you can buy is 7.85g/cc. In practice this is only the best top quality professional tools. The sort of hacksaws and drill bits you get at Aki or Leroy Merlin are nowhere near this, and will fail dismally. Drilling stainless also needs you to start the hole with a very fine dot punch, otherwise the drill cant start, even 1mm drills. Working stainless is beyond the capability of most people. Plus ofc it work hardens, which makes the problem worse. The trick to drilling stainless steel is in the speed of the drill bit, you have to keep it slow.
yes your quite right. As I stated the with correct tools quality blade and drill bits,or as you say professional blade and bits ,I never mentioned aki or Leroy merlin, as for the drill I meant the drill machine not the drill bits,and yes I know about punch and pilot holes thank you,
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Previous