Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Pine trees as logs

Pine trees as logs

Postby schuman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:43 pm

My neighbour has a number of pine trees which are going to be chopped down. Would they make good logs for a log burner?
schuman

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Siesta Torrevieja

Re: Pine trees as logs

Postby GLASSMAN » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:23 pm

after storage for 12mnths to dry out,they would burn fast and give off good heat due to the resin , that's what they mostly burn in scandaniavian countries,if you split them they would dry quicker depending on thick ness, also depends what species of pine they are,
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby marcliff » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:39 pm

Pine is not recommended for a log burner. The resin makes the wood burn quite intensely and forms a sticky, tar like substance which covers the glass cover and is very difficult to get off. It also contains a lot of sap which turns into a lot of smoke and can clog up the pipes with creosote.
All well and good for open fires with wide chimneys but not so good for the pipe that comes out of a log burner.
We used pine logs in our open fire in Germany but the supplier asked what type of fire we had and advised people with log burners not to use them.

It is also very crackly when hot with the sap and can spit bits out when you open the door to add more wood.
On the good side, it makes good kindling for starting it off in the first place because it catches and burns very quickly.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby richardlionheart » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:44 pm

If you are going to burn softwoods like pine, cedar, or deal etc you need to mix it 1/3 softwood with 2/3 hardwoods, As mentioned above, softwoods are heavy in tar, they will soot up your chimney and coat everything internally in tar, so you have to burn with hardwood to keep the burn temperature up and the hydrocarbons levels low

Dont ever be tempted to burn treated timbers like fenceposts and pallets. the preservatives give off some seriously poisonous or carcinogenic substances.
richardlionheart

Location: not cold grey expensive police state UK, thank god.

Postby schuman » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:04 am

Thank you for these replies. I think I'll pass on using them for my log burner then.
schuman

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Siesta Torrevieja

Postby PeteKnight » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:41 am

The wood yard in Los Perez might be interested in collecting them.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Dot » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:50 am

You could use them in an outdoor firepit
Dot

Which part of Spain are you from?: lo marabu

Postby Molly » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:13 pm

Coming from Scandinavia and have burned a lot of pine wood I can recommend pine for wood. Just use much air and not so much at the time. The worst thing you can do to a wood burner is to close for the draft. Then it makes a lot of sot in the chimney what ever you burn.
Molly

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby GLASSMAN » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:19 pm

thanks Molly ,that's exactly correct,pines no good for burning slowly over night,it need to burn fast so the fumes escape quickly, so as not to bung the flue up.modern wood burning stoves with wash flow glass in the front and if burn at the correct heat will keep the glass clean ,you should never burn freshly cut wood in any circumstances, all wood should be stored for 12mnths or more , theres only one timber that can be burn after 6months or so and that's elm ,I think ,
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/