Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

foreign speakers in uk

Re: foreign speakers in uk

Postby PeteKnight » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:50 pm

Most UK companies that provide a translation service, and services such as Police, Ambulance NHS etc use a telephone translation service called LanguageLine.

While LanguageLine isn’t exactly cheap, it is a very affordable way to provide a translation service in hundreds of different languages without the need to employ multilingual staff.

I’ve worked for a number of different housing associations, mostly based in London - where ethnic diversity is obviously extremely high. Most housing association tenants at nominated by the Local Authority and are often people on low incomes and may have a low standard of education. Sometimes written translation into a person’s native language doesn’t work, as they may not actually be sufficiently literate in their native language to understand technical written documents.

Regardless of the arguments for and against these people being allowed to settle an be offered social housing in the UK (I’m not making any judgement here) if you want to ensure that these people understand and comply with the terms of their tenancy agreements, and are able to report problems and/or make complaints, then a translation service is essential.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby marcliff » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:43 pm

The cost of interpreter services to the NHS alone is £59,000 per day. Our doctors used to use language line which would almost double the consultation time so you have to add that on as well. The doctor would have to talk on the phone, hand the phone to the patient and then take the phone back for the translation. Speakerphones never seemed to work properly for translation purposes as people would butt in during the translation period.
However, Language Line was preferable to bringing a relative along as the doctor could never be sure if the relative was interpreting correctly or putting their own view on it.

Sign language and "Spanglish/Franglais" etc. wasn't acceptable as the doctors in UK wanted to make sure they knew exactly what the problem was.

Try turning up in France without an interpreter unless you go private in one of the smaller towns.
I believe that certain health centres in Andalucia provide telephone interpreter services at a GP or hospital.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby bktayken » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:06 pm

If you choose to live in another country you should learn the language if you are not proficient then when the need arises you take someone who is.
bktayken

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Curious » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:18 pm

The NHS pays £90 per hour for an interpreter at no charge to the patient regardless of whether they have the ability to pay.
Curious

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Crispin

Postby loulou21 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:22 pm

In most hospitals in Spain there are signs in the waiting room saying you are entitled to an interpreter but on asking they deny you your right. We speak some Spanish so do our best to speak the language of the country we chose to live in, but sometimes it is difficult.

I wonder what would happen if you insisted??
loulou21

Which part of Spain are you from?: Albatera

Postby lexia » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:03 pm

In Spain all government buildings have to provide a translator if requested. I have not paid for a translator yet. Been here 20 years.
lexia

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby rfh40 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:16 pm

Morning all ,

UK is a soft touch end off, mean while our veterans sleep on the streets, madness !

Have a good day all :-)
rfh40

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benijofar

Postby manxmunk » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:11 pm

I think that you would find this problem in certain other countries in the EU, one rule for them to follow, and a completely different rule that the UK has to follow. Then you wonder why people want us to leave the EU.
manxmunk

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Marina

Postby Glassfull » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:18 pm

rfh40 wrote:Morning all ,

UK is a soft touch end off, mean while our veterans sleep on the streets, madness !

Have a good day all :-)

And that, my friend, is all down to this Government’s austerity policies and not, the provision of translation services.
Glassfull

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby marcliff » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:25 pm

manxmunk wrote:I think that you would find this problem in certain other countries in the EU, one rule for them to follow, and a completely different rule that the UK has to follow. Then you wonder why people want us to leave the EU.

Any hints or clues on just what this has to do with the EU?
The UK government decides it wants to provide interpreters. Other governments in Europe decide they want to leave it up to the patient.
Just where does the EU come in to this?

You can't smoke in a bar in London but you can in Prague. Blame the EU for that as well?

UK drives on the left, other countries drive on the right. Blame the EU for that as well?

UK doesn't have ID cards but other countries do. Obviously a fault of the EU.

UK has the Daily Mail.....well, enough said.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

PreviousNext