Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Temporary Residency

Temporary Residency

Postby sueandray » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:05 pm

Hi
We have been holidaying in Quesada for nearly 3 months we do not plan to live or work here but would like to continue to rent for about 6-9 months. Do we need to get a temporary residency card even if we fly back to the UK within 6 months any help will be much appreciated.
Last edited by sueandray on Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sueandray

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Temporary Residency

Postby marcliff » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:37 pm

If you intend to stay over 3 months then you should go on the register of EU foreign nationals residing in Spain. This is what we Brits refer to as residency.
Not many people do that, especially if they go back home before 6 months is up.
If you stay in Spain for longer than 6 months (and out of UK) then you will be classed as a fiscal resident and will be obliged to complete a tax return for the year you are here.
By leaving the UK for that amount of time you should also de-register with the NHS as you will no longer be classed as a British resident.
Note that the 6 months is in any one year period, not a calendar year so you can't just nip back to UK for a week or so and then come back once the 6 months is up.

OK, loads of people don't bother. But will you have a car here? In which case you must re-register it on Spanish plates as well. Even if you stay a UK resident the car cannot stay here over 6 months.
And, yes, loads of people stay under the radar, don't register for residency and continue to use their car here.
Trouble is, if stopped and the police think you are resident they can impound your car and some heavy fines are applied.

Again, lots of people take that chance and get away with it. Some don't, though.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby sueandray » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:08 pm

Hi
Many thanks for your reply it all seems a bit confusing is this the same residency as people who are living here permanently if so what happens with this when i go back home to the UK ?
sueandray

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby marcliff » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:27 pm

Yes, it is the same residency as those living here have but you can take out permanent residency once you have been on the register for five years.
When you go back to UK you fill in the same application form for residency but tick the box at the bottom marked "Baja" which cancels it.
For a stay of up to 6 months, I wouldn't bother to do anything although, if you sign on the padron to get a temporary health card in Rojales, this can be used as proof that you have actually been a resident for some time and would have possible implications in the future if you wish to import a car (which has to start the re-registration process within 30 days of arrival to avoid import taxes) and household goods.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2