Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Amazon Fire Stick Bought In Spain (Amazon es)

Amazon Fire Stick Bought In Spain (Amazon es)

Postby viking » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi

Does anyone know,if an Amazon Fire Stick bought in Spain can be set-up and used in English ?

We have an Amazon Prime account on Amazon ES,and wondered if the registration/set-up defaulted to Spanish when configuring the stick ?

Is there the possibility of setting up the brand new Fire Stick using English from the start,and then continuing using English as you use it in the future ?

Will the content (Prime series etc) come up in Spanish,or are they automatically in English ?

Sorry about all the questions,hopefully someone with far more knowledge can provide some answers.

Many thanks
viking

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Amazon Fire Stick Bought In Spain (Amazon es)

Postby Silbado Soplar » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi,I bought one on spanish ebay and registered it with amazon.es on the set up menu you get language choices and once set thats it.Your amazon Prime content will be in English,if you want Netflix then register via the UK site from Spain use a VPN or if you dont have, get someone in the UK to register your Netflix account,you get more English language content than the Spanish Netflix although some of the Spanish boxsets are good and dubbed in English.You wont need a VPN to access the UK Netflix even though they will see a Spanish IP.These Firesticks are great once you get the hang of it,loads of free Apps,news channels I dont get on IPTV,I recently put on an IPTV App for the UK Sky content and now have cleared out all the old boxes,cables etc and just have the firestick with no cables and does everything I need,You Tube,Amazon Prime,IPTV.Great bit of kit on offer in Argos Black Friday for 25 pounds I paid more than that 2nd hand off ebay :cry:
Silbado Soplar

Which part of Spain are you from?: Thader

Postby viking » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:34 pm

Thank you for the information,it's really appreciated.

What was the IPTV app you installed,and does it get most of Sky content including sports ?
viking

Postby viking » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:53 am

I have gone ahead and ordered the Fire Stick from Amazon es,they are giving 20% off for Prime members.On the face of it a great deal,we shall see how it works out ?

If anyone knows of any useful Apps and tweaks for the Fire Stick,can you let me know (a way to get Sky Sports/films etc would be fantastic) ?

Many thanks
viking

Postby Paul - TV Techie » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:08 am

I have gone ahead and ordered the Fire Stick from Amazon es,they are giving 20% off for Prime members.On the face of it a great deal,we shall see how it works out ?

If anyone knows of any useful Apps and tweaks for the Fire Stick,can you let me know (a way to get Sky Sports/films etc would be fantastic) ?
Viking, suggest you type into google - 'what can I do on a hacked firestick' & 'how do I hack an Amazon firestick'. ;)

Also google 'Kodi for firestick' - plenty of info out there if you don't mind a little play. Free streams for the sports/sky can often be wobbly, which is why personally I give these a bit of a wide berth as frustration can creep in - as can be a bit hit and miss, depending on what service you have on them - generally speaking on the 'free' Kodi type streams, I have never felt they are stable or reliable enough - but that's what you get for FREE - no guarantee. Often streams are oversubscribed, which leads to buffering even if you have good internet speed.

However there are apps you can get on a hacked firestick which allow access to other paid for services, so there are better options available. Ultimately if you want all the premium type content stable, catch up TV and everything thrown in without reliance on free apps and unmonitored streams, then the Amazon stick is not the most ideal or stable solution - it's the cheapest starting point though.

I believe that many people start of using these hacked type options with Kodi / multiple pieces of software, but long-term tire of the instability and apps being taken on and offline as gets frustrating. This is based on 4 years of offering support for Android/XBMC/Kodi media - many people simply get frustrated as expect this to work as a standard consumer product - but when hacked, it is not. This is not the same as a standard Amazon stick, where you pay for Amazon prime or use the standard software, Netflix etc or Amazon approved apps, which integrate well as designed to do so. To use in this manner, should give you little problem in everyday use. Once you alter this (change software to Kodi for free streams and other apps), the Amazon functionality and what you expect disappears, as all you now really have is an Android stick, with lots of bits of indie type software & technically much more difficult to use.

Overall, depends on how much you want to do with your Amazon stick & how technically minded/patient you are.

Paul
http://www.televisiontechnology.eu
Paul - TV Techie

Which part of Spain are you from?: almoradi, alicante

Postby viking » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:39 am

Thank you,Paul.
viking

Postby marcliff » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:31 am

I bought a fire stick in Spain and had to send it back because it didn't work on my (non-smart) TV. As I'd brought the TV from UK and using a Humax box it kept saying my postcode was not recognised. I did have a Prime subscription (very cheap in Spain at the time) and could get the Amazon Prime stuff on my laptop but not the TV so had to plug the laptop into the TV.

We then bought a smart TV (Samsung) which sets up the Humax box with a UK postcode and the Spanish digital recognised the Rojales postcode. I then simply used the Amazon Prime app on the smart TV and it works excellently.

Also has Netflix, Now TV and Sky if I took out a subscription but Freesat, DVB TV and Prime is more than sufficient for me and I don't have to bother with VPNs, Kodi apps, searching and buffering that I once had on a Mag box.

The only thing I don't get is catchup on BBC but, for some reason, it does work on ITV.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Paul - TV Techie » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:43 pm

Marcliff - Humax box it kept saying my postcode was not recognised
I've seen this one before - I can't remember which way around it is (been a while) but I believe if you put the postcode in as you would in the UK with the space in the middle, it says 'not recognised' type in the same postcode without the gap and it should work. It tripped me up once or twice before on the Humax boxes. I may actually have it the wrong way around (it really has been that long), but whatever way you tried it, try it the other way and will work 100% - my next door neighbour running a Freesat box, with his Milton Keynes postcode in!

Sky Spain, Sky go Spain - not same as Sky UK - Sky Spain /go is just plain poor, very few channels, not what you get with the UK one, which won't work properly in Spain unless you have a UK subscription (and then will only work for a month without VPN). Also you need a UK subscription for Sky Go UK (and can only use 1 month in Spain, before needs reconnecting to UK internet).

Also has Netflix, Now TV and Sky if I took out a subscription but Freesat, DVB TV and Prime is more than sufficient for me and I don't have to bother with VPNs, Kodi apps, searching and buffering that I once had on a Mag box.

Buffering is not a MAG box issue (hardware), that is either an internet issue or the TV provider themselves. Of the IPTV hardware, MAG industry standard and best (believe it or not) middleware/firmware. The issue, unfortunately, is often TV service providers simply overload their servers, so too many clients and systems suffer - this often the problem with cheap online providers, hosting costs, double the amount of clients on a service, halve the cost, but compromise performance. If you want any half decent service, it won't be the cheapest! MAG with a decent service provider and also MAG been around a bit, so a lot of older hardware floating about 250, 254, 256, 322 and now 324 box - 5 generations old. Best integrated overall content TV solution, if have the right hardware (ideally newer MAG as allows you to stream on other devices, phone/tablet etc) and a decent service provider. Easy to get a free trial.

Kodi - personally, can't stand it. Novelty for 5 minutes, until you really want to watch something special (in my case world title boxing) and after round 2 gone.

Work asked me to spend 4 years offering support for Kodi/XBMC as people wanted to buy the subscription-free IPTV option - which at the time was ok with Filmon (for free) so just that & few movies ok, but it changed. It became apparent quite quickly with the apps added and searching for other content, that this is for the home hobbyist and not a simple or reliable consumer grade 'for all' product & I did tell people this. Everyone wants a Rolls Royce performance for the price of a (free) Skoda! I baulk at the junk Android boxes being sold on local facebook groups by desperate cowboys, which I know within weeks (if lucky) of owning the 'it doesn't work' or software issues begin. Most people's technical ability and patience does not extend to Kodi, not unless they know exactly what they are getting (unreliability) and they have the technical patience of a saint (I don't & I do know what I am doing).

Over a period of years, Kodi has gotten progressively worse, more unreliable, apps pulled etc. I don't use now at all, as simply can't be bothered and have access to better services - however for the odd film and as a spare or backup system, maybe - buy I would never recommend this as your main or full time use TV product. IT IS VERY TECHNICAL. Most of the clients we have dealt with, have since upgraded away from this - though of course 5 years down the line now, since the IPTV really started to gain traction, there are quite a few different options and services now.

Paul
http://www.televisiontechnology.eu
[email protected]
Paul - TV Techie

Which part of Spain are you from?: almoradi, alicante

Postby viking » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Paul/Marcliff

To be honest I've not had time to even test the Amazon Fire Stick,hopefully we don't have any issues with our Humax box ? If there are I will follow the instructions you've provided Paul,fingers crossed they won't be needed ?

As for the Fire Stick in general,it looks like trying to access Sky etc is fraught with problems (not keen to hack it). We shall just probably use it for Prime Video and install standard apps,for the price I paid it's good value even when limiting the content.

Thank you all again for your input,it's really appreciated.

viking

Postby Glassfull » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:29 pm

Viking,

The expression, ‘hacking’ is overworked these days. It used to mean interfering with the software but in reality, all you do with the Amazon Fire TV Stick is sideload Kodi and any AddOns you might require
Glassfull

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Next