Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Help! Advice needed please on feral cats

Help! Advice needed please on feral cats

Postby jankw » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:48 am

Hi

I am having a problem with feral cats in our area, they are making a complete mess of my garden area. I clear the mess up daily but its becoming a nightmare! My garden and approach to the front door of my property stinks constantly. They are constantly fowling and throwing up, even on my terrace! My daughter actually stood in cat vomit in her bare feet as the cat had sicked under the table we use to eat outside. Our neighbour feeds 16 cats and I woke up this morning to find another 3 kittens playing on the terrace at the back of my house. I'm at my wits end. I've tried every detergent imaginable and spent a small fortune on ultrasound deterents, chemical ones (harmless ones of course), bottles filled with water, orange /lemon peel, eggshells even!!! Can I get help under the local council? I live in El Galan and we come under the district of San Miguel de Salinas.

Thank you. Any advice much appreciated. By the way I've talked to my neighbour about it but I don't want to push it as she has just lost her husband.
jankw

Which part of Spain are you from?: el galan

Re: Help! Advice needed please on feral cats

Postby djw » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:16 pm

Whilst not 100% sure I think you need a licence to feed feral cats unless that is only in torrevieja. It is not good or wise to feed feral cats as they then starve when the feeder leaves ot travels on holiday. I would email the town hall in san Miguel they should help. Is speaking to your neighbour not an option? Maybe she could have them sterilised so they do not reproduce. It must be awful for you, I love cats but some people do not appear to understand feral cats should be left feral.
Last edited by djw on Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djw

Which part of Spain are you from?: Daya nueva

Postby grichn » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:08 pm

It is an offence to feed feral cats. Inform the Ayuntamiento without delay.
Richard
grichn

Which part of Spain are you from?: crevillent

Postby djw » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:12 pm

This information was this year, it might help you.

http://www.costadaily.com/2018/06/14/sa ... cate-cats/
djw

Which part of Spain are you from?: Daya nueva

Postby JOHNNOBEV » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:41 pm

We had the same problem some years ago.
A friend who is an international cat judge recommended mothballs or anything camphor based.
You have to replace it periodically but after a year we didn't have any feral cats around the property, and it's still the same now.
JOHNNOBEV

Which part of Spain are you from?: QUESADA

Postby jankw » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:26 pm

Thank you for your helpful replies. They're very much appreciated. I have talked to my neighbour but as I said in my original post she has just lost her husband so I don't want to push it. I've messaged the town hall at san miguel today as they have a grant for controlling feral cats by neutering them. I come under san miguel district so hopefully they will respond.

Once again thank you for all the good advice.

:text-thankyouyellow:
jankw

Which part of Spain are you from?: el galan

Postby GLASSMAN » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:00 pm

grichn wrote:It is an offence to feed feral cats. Inform the Ayuntamiento without delay.
Richard
its offence to feed them on public property, you can feed them on your own property if you wish, which is not illegal ,in some areas there are people who are licenced by the local council to feed feral cat colonys, feral cats help to keep the rodent population down, Most councils have some arrangement to help with this,by a trap neuter and release policy, if some one feeds a feral cat while here on holiday , then go home ,the feral cat will revert back to its hunting instincts or further scrounging instincts,i,ve watched them catch cockroaches ,little lizards ,etc...
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby Ginger » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:12 am

I don’t think feral cats are the problem I think the problem is your neighbour feeding them. Cats soon suss out a soft touch and move in, remove the food and they will soon move on.
Ginger

Which part of Spain are you from?: Cartagena, murcia

Postby GLASSMAN » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:16 am

Correct! :text-goodpost:
but perhaps as stated the ladys recently bereaved,prehaps feeding the cats offers her some comfort,we all need that sometimes in our lifes,
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/