Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Advice on a remote control for Central Heating

Advice on a remote control for Central Heating

Postby Pensionista » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:49 am

I didn't know which category this fitted in to, but I hope someone who reads this can help us, even though it may be in the wrong place.

We had central heating put in last year and the controls are driving us mad. All we want is a simple on/off switch or remote, not a timer. Can anyone advise us?
Pensionista

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera del Segur

Re: Advice on a remote control for Central Heating

Postby PeteKnight » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:39 am

Are you having difficulty because the timer is in Spanish?
If so, what make model is it?

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Janjan » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:12 pm

Timers also drive me mad. Is there a Thermostat that you can alter manually to turn the Boiler off.
Janjan

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada area

Postby Jordy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:29 pm

On our boiler there are two separate dials. One is for the hot water and the other is for the radiators.
In the warmer weather we just turn the radiator dial right down to zero (or anti-clockwise to the --- mark)so they don't come on. When needed, just clockwise again to the + mark. The two dials are differentiated by a radiator symbol under one and two wavy lines under the other. Hope this helps.
Jordy

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby PeteKnight » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:10 pm

All 7 day timer/programmers can be set to manual mode, and overridden to act as a simple on/off switch. The issue is often that the display is 8n Spanish and it’s difficult to tell at a glance what’s happening and this can make it difficult to set things up to work the way you want.

One of my neighbours had this problem with her programmer and it wasn’t helped by the fact that she only had a Spanish user guide for it. A bit of googling soon came up with an English manual and although it didn’t tell you this in the manual, I found a YouTube video that showed how to change it into an English language display. The labels on the switches and buttons are still is Spanish of course, but switching the display to English makes operation of the controller much simpler for her now.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Laura » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:12 pm

Not sure if this will help you if you have a new central heating system because my U.K. system is quite new and doesn’t have a plug.

Our Spanish oil fired central heating plugs into a socket and the timer on the unit is old and doesn’t work so last year we used an old fashioned timer plug where you push in bits on the dial to set the timer.

This year we bought a Wi-fi plug and it is fantastic. We can set timers on it or just switch on and off from an app on our phone. It is very simple and saves having to go outside if we need to change times or put on if gets very cold.
Laura
Picture contest entrant
Picture contest entrant

Postby manxmunk » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:25 am

have you considered fitting a 24 hour timer, this is in 15 min intervals, and gives the option of heating, or hot water or heating and hot water. (although a hot water tank would need to be connected to this system).
manxmunk

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Marina

Postby Pensionista » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:36 am

Thanks everyone, but none actually give me a solution. The timer is in English, but the heating still comes on randomly as to override the system you either have to increase or decrease the temperature required. This is then in the memory and therefore, next time that hour comes around, on comes the heating.

All I want is either a hard-wired or remote that says on/off for the central heating. Surely this isn't impossible????
Pensionista

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera del Segur

Postby Terry the gardener » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:36 am

20181203_103454.jpg
hwe have no timer connected our boiler, just a thermostat that we turn up when we want central heating on and down for off..simple ..would think this would be a better option ...just have this instead of timer..
Terry the gardener

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby GillianOSD » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:10 am

Is the thermostat Wi-Fi?

I have a Wi-Fi one and can help you programme it. I can also use it manually to turn it on and off.

Where are you based as Borja are very helpful or I can speak to a plumber I know. If you are not far I could have a look. Not promising I can sort it but may be able to.

Gillian
GillianOSD

Next