Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Post Brexit travel to EU to cost €7 for 3 years access

Discuss your questions about the EU and Brexit and what it means for Quesada and Spain

Post Brexit travel to EU to cost €7 for 3 years access

Postby Babu » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:09 pm

Interesting article on BBC Website . . . .
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46564884
Last edited by Babu on Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Babu

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Raso

Re: Post Brexit travel to EU to cost €7 for 2 years access

Postby Babu » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:10 pm

x
Last edited by Babu on Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Babu

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Raso

Postby Glassfull » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:37 pm

So it’s not yet clear what hoops, those with Residencia, need to jump through for travel to other EU Countries or, indeed to the UK.
Glassfull

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby jpeg » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:10 pm

If you have Residencia status you can travel where you want in the EU just as you can now
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Glassfull » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:06 pm

But, we are not Spanish citizens nor will we have EU passports. What makes you so sure, where did you derive that fact/information?
Glassfull

Postby jpeg » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:36 pm

Of course we are not Spanish citizens but we are EU citizens therefore allowed to move freely round the EU States as decreed in the EU constitution
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Re: Post Brexit travel to EU to cost €7 for 3 years access

Postby garysl » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:38 pm

Most of us are British citizens, not EU citizens. There's really no such thing as an EU citizen.. Once the UK leaves, it's up in the air. I read somewhere, last week, that we might be issued with an ID card, like those that are issued to Spanish citizens. I'd have no problem with that. Then again, who knows whether we'll actually leave the EU or not.
garysl

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Glassfull » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:34 pm

jpeg wrote:Of course we are not Spanish citizens but we are EU citizens therefore allowed to move freely round the EU States as decreed in the EU constitution

OK, that’s the now bit covered however, my concern is the forever after, after 29 March.
Glassfull

Postby marcliff » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:56 pm

garysl wrote:Most of us are British citizens, not EU citizens. There's really no such thing as an EU citizen.. Once the UK leaves, it's up in the air. I read somewhere, last week, that we might be issued with an ID card, like those that are issued to Spanish citizens. I'd have no problem with that. Then again, who knows whether we'll actually leave the EU or not.

Back in the day, some time ago, we all got ID cards to go with residency. Some Brit expats took this to the EU courts saying we don't have ID cards in UK so we shouldn't need them here and it got approved, hence the reason we now get a scrappy piece of paper which is not acceptable as iD and should carry passports around with us. Probably a load of people trying to hide their origins, I reckon, for some reason or the other.

Don't get confused about residency and citizenship. We are, currently, on a register of foreign EU citizens resident in Spain.
Residency is given to people who aren't from an EU country and are classed as non-EU citizens.
We will, maybe, be in that category once UK leaves the EU.
The difference is that those with what we call residency (that's us) never have to renew it. Once you've been here for 5 years or more you are, according to EU rules, classed as a permanent resident and you can either get that formalised by applying for permanent residency or just accept the EU definition that you are permanent because you've been here 5 years or more.

Now, the problem. Those from a non-EU country must show they have medical cover and an income that is far above that required by a someone from an EU country. I think it's around €32,000 a year for a couple (don't quote me on that but it is higher than someone from in the EU).
This "permanent" residency must be renewed every 5 years whereas our current status never has to be renewed.
You must show, every 5 years, that you still meet the criteria for health and income levels.

No-one, as yet, knows what will happen after the UK leaves. The Spanish Valencian minister for something or other has been in UK saying Spain will give UK citizens the same rights as they have at the moment if the UK gives the same rights to the 10,000 or so Valencians living in UK. Hopefully that will come about.

If the UK leaves with no deal then it will have to be discussed, yet again. If there is a deal then the current agreement will stand and the rights of Brits will be safeguarded. Leave with no deal and who knows........

Just a shame our current government appears more concerned with stabbing each other in the back rather than getting something that will work.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Sage » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:18 am

7 Euro every 3 years is ok for me.

Let's hope the UK Government introduce a similar charge for people visiting the UK......other countries have done this for years.
Sage

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Next