Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Driving in Spain

Driving in Spain

Postby Ike2988 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:55 pm

Hi.
I have bought a LHD Spanish registered car in the UK, I am going to use ferry upto Santander and then via Madrid to Quesada in April/May, I am not sure about the route to take, I can google it but you can’t beat the personal experience, any advice will be most appreciated, TIA
Regards
Ike2988

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Siesta torrevieja

Re: Driving in Spain

Postby marcliff » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:46 pm

Santander to Burgos on the A67 (motorway) and the N627 (A road). Follow the road around Burgos and then the A1 (motorway) all the way to Madrid. Circle round Madrid on the R2 (ring road, toll about 2 euro) and come off the ring road on the A3 to Albacete. Then the A31 (motorway) all the way to Elche and join the A7 and AP7 to Rojales.

Mainly empty roads all the way except round the big towns I've mentioned. Should take 8 and a half to 9 hours includind fuelling stop (loads on the motorways) and a comfort stop.

The only toll is the ring road but worth to avoid Madrid.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Ike2988 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:58 pm

Thank you marcliff, very useful info.
Ike2988

Postby PeteKnight » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:23 pm

I hope you’ve sorted-out the paperwork correctly on your Spanish registered car (not an easy task), otherwise you’re in for a very difficult time in Spain.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Thatch1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:08 am

Marcliff is spot on with his route. One extra thing to bear in mind is the time taken to get out of Santander. They often let the lorries off the boat 1st, and the family cars off last. This means it can take about 1.5 hours from docking in Santander before you get to the outskirts of Santander! With the normal docking time of about 13:00hrs, it can be the middle of the afternoon before you start the main part of the drive down. As such, you may like to consider an overnight stop on the outskirts of Madrid to break up the journey.
Thatch1

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales Hills X1

Postby Rodt » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:30 pm

Night mare to re register a Spanish registered car from the uk, most people do a sore on the car,Spanish equivalent when they sell the car in the uk, took 14 months to sort out & cost€650, best of luck with yours, you'll need it.
Rodt

Which part of Spain are you from?: pueblo luceroResale

Postby Ike2988 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks guys for very useful advice, I wasn’t aware that you had to re register a Spanish registered car, i need to read up on this.
Regards
Ike2988

Postby PeteKnight » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:14 pm

If it’s on Spanish plates then it should “just” be a case of transferring the ownership to you.
However, that process isn’t easy in Spain - it’s not like the UK where you send off the back page of the V5c to Swansea and Bob’s your uncle!

Assuming that all is well with the current Spanish registration and it hasn’t been de-registered (which happens if the tax isn’t paid for a while), you’ll need to go along to a solicitor with all the paperwork for the vehicle and your NIE and proof of address. The important bit is that you’ll also need the full details of the previous person/company that was registered as the previous owner (on the Spanish DGT/Trafico system. This normally means that you need this person’s NIE/NIF details and a sales receipt from them.

You’ll need to pay the transfer fee and purchase tax, and if the vehicle isn’t taxed then you’ll need to pay that for the current year. I do t think it’s legal to drive it in Saoin without the tax being paid.
If the ITV (Spanish MOT) has expired then you can’t legally drive it in Spain. You could have it ITV’d at the first test station after you get off the ferry, but that still isn’t technically legal. ITVs can only be done at regional test stations, so it’s not like the UK where you can pop in to a local garage and get it tested. You’ll genreally need an appointment for your ITV test.

Oh, one other thing - if you’re a British resident then it’s illegal for you to drive a Spanish registered vehicle in the UK!

You might want to consider getting the car transported to an ITV station in Spain rather than driving it to Spain.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin