Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Cream Sherry

Cream Sherry

Postby jules1 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:23 am

Does anybody know where I can find dark cream sherry. Looked in all the usual places. I have found Croft pale sherry in carrefour but want dark cream sherry.
Last edited by jules1 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jules1

Which part of Spain are you from?: Algorfa

Re: Cream Sherry

Postby marcliff » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:15 am

Sorry but that's given me a chuckle. You are looking for a cream sherry, which comes from the Jerez region in Spain, and have looked in the "usual" Brits shops like Iceland and Johnson's. Have you thought of looking in a Spanish shop for what is a Spanish wine?
And is there a Spanish equivalent? That really made my morning. You realise that Harvey's Bristol cream is not made in Bristol?

Sherry is made from grapes grown in the Jerez region of Spain.
Perhaps you should try a Spanish bodega (there are several around, one by the petrol station in Quesada, one by the DIY shop in Los Montesinos and, of course, every Spanish supermarket has loads of different types. Look for Jerez on the label.

Unless you are looking for that abomination of Emva Cream which comes from Cyprus and is beloved of grannies on holiday there.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Martin the artist » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:17 am

They do 2 cream sherries in Mercadona, one s sweeter than the other I believe.
They also do a nice Pedro Ximenez too!
Martin the artist

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Mac3blade » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:24 am

Hi Jules1,
I always use cream sherry when cooking a speghetti Bologna seems and like yourself,searched everywhere for some...with no luck...admittedly,ages ago. Yes, tried spanish but detested it. My neighbour is Swedish and traditionally,the Swedes serve sherry during dinner...nothing like the Harvey’s Bristol Cream, nothing. I was given a large bottle of it as a gift but did not like it. Croft pale sherry is delightful....tastes similar but a different colour. In my opinion, Harvey’s Bristol Cream is probably made for us and not the spanish. Let me know if you do manage to track down some or a similar spanish equivalent.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby elchedave » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:34 am

marcliff wrote:Sorry but that's given me a chuckle. You are looking for a cream sherry, which comes from the Jerez region in Spain, and have looked in the "usual" Brits shops like Iceland and Johnson's. Have you thought of looking in a Spanish shop for what is a Spanish wine?
And is there a Spanish equivalent? That really made my morning. You realise that Harvey's Bristol cream is not made in Bristol?

Sherry is made from grapes grown in the Jerez region of Spain.
Perhaps you should try a Spanish bodega (there are several around, one by the petrol station in Quesada, one by the DIY shop in Los Montesinos and, of course, every Spanish supermarket has loads of different types. Look for Jerez on the label.

Unless you are looking for that abomination of Emva Cream which comes from Cyprus and is beloved of grannies on holiday there.

Another great post Marcliff
elchedave

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby Teppy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:07 am

Try Valdespino Cream
Sherry. Canalis supermarket and Gama usually have it and I reckon it's as good as Harvey's Bristol Cream. They also do dry, medium and sweet. By far the nicest I have had here. Cheers!
Teppy

Which part of Spain are you from?: Monte Azul, Benijofa

Postby marcliff » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:29 am

Tried Spanish but detested it? Pray tell, where do you think the sherry you buy in UK comes from?
Harvey's had a big bodega near Linea de la Frontera until 2015 when they sold it to Grupo Emperadora Spain. They make it there and then ship it to their distribution plant in Bristol, hence the name.

Sherry comes from Spain. We get the word sherry by mangling the word Jerez.
The sherry you buy in UK comes from Spain. Look at the bodegas. Ask the chap at the one by the petrol station in town and he'll point out the one you want.

There are at least 10 different types of sherry. They range from the very dry fino and manzanilla up to the dark and sweet (cream sherry) Pedro Ximinez and Cream.

Fino. Very dry with a taste of almonds
Manzanilla. Very dry but with an apple taste.
Amontillado, dry and is Manzanilla which has aged.
Oloroso. Medium dry and very dark golden colour.
Palo Cortado. Medium dry
Pedro Ximinez. A very sweet and red sherry.
Moscatel. A very sweet sherry but not as red as the Pedro Ximinez
Cream. Ranging from pale cream which is a medium sweet fino up to very sweet which is a sweetened oloroso.

Have a look at the bodegas for Oloroso Dulce which changes its name to Cream Sherry for the British market or Amontillado Dulce and you'll get what you want.

Carrefour actually has a Canasta vino Jerez Cream dulce, a Solera Vino Jerez Cream 1847, a Nectar Jerez Cream which should satisfy anyone who wants a cream sherry.
If they do that range, imagine what the bodegas have?

Note that there is no vintage for sherry. The wine made this year will be added to barrels from previous years so you could have part of it in there dating from the 18th Century. The 1847 above means the barrel was started in that year so you will have parts dating from then and aged along with all the years since.
Last edited by marcliff on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
marcliff

Postby dr.doolittle » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:31 am

Have you tried the Bodega just before you get to Los Montesinos, never seen a place with so many bottles.
dr.doolittle

Postby marcliff » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:43 pm

I have just been to the bodega in Los Montesinos, the one just past the DIY store as you enter. I went to get a bottle of Glayva which is my favourite tipple for Christmas and New Year.

They have a whole rack of different sherries. One row is all cream sherries from pale cream upwards. Another is full of Pedro Ximinez from fino to dulce. This, along with everything else they sell (beers from Guinness, Coors, Peroni and all the Spanish ones) etc has now made this my favourite shop in the whole of Spain. Not to mention the displays of cheeses, hams and gourmet crisps and snacks

Got a bottle of Glayva, a bottle of Offley's Ruby port and a 12 pack of Mahou for 35 euro.
Sherry ranged from about 5 euro a bottle upwards with most of the cream sherries around 6 to 8 euro.
marcliff

Postby dr.doolittle » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:25 pm

marcliff wrote:I have just been to the bodega in Los Montesinos, the one just past the DIY store as you enter. I went to get a bottle of Glayva which is my favourite tipple for Christmas and New Year.

They have a whole rack of different sherries. One row is all cream sherries from pale cream upwards. Another is full of Pedro Ximinez from fino to dulce. This, along with everything else they sell (beers from Guinness, Coors, Peroni and all the Spanish ones) etc has now made this my favourite shop in the whole of Spain. Not to mention the displays of cheeses, hams and gourmet crisps and snacks

Got a bottle of Glayva, a bottle of Offley's Ruby port and a 12 pack of Mahou for 35 euro.
Sherry ranged from about 5 euro a bottle upwards with most of the cream sherries around 6 to 8 euro.

dr.doolittle

Next