Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

NIE and bank account

NIE and bank account

Postby PGA » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi All,

Apologies for yet another topic on these (simple!) matters but trying to understand the physical process necessary, particularly re the NIE number.

I am currently in the UK but in the process of a purchase so want to get NIE and bank account in place. I appreciate that I can grant PoA to a law firm but the alternative is for me to spend a few days in early New Year in the area and hopefully finalise these at the same time.

Forms are all filled in. I understand I need to present myself to the nearest Spanish National Police Station. Where is the nearest from Quesada? Presumably an appointment needs to be made? Has anyone made their own appointment before?

I appreciate that there are companies out there who can arrange appointments etc for a fee but seems a bit OTT to use them if its a case of booking an appointment and holding my hand. Unless I am vastly underestimating some process (yes, I know Spain's bureaucracy can be frustrating).

Turning to the bank accounts, I presume this is a case of simply attending and waiting to be seen? If I present passport, evidence of UK address and earnings evidence (self-employed so be tax returns) then presumably I can open an account same-day (ish)? Ideally would like it to be the Santander 123 account if it matters.
PGA

Re: NIE and bank account

Postby marcliff » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:23 pm

You need an appointment to get an NIE. There is, currently, at least a month waiting time to get an appointment and some National Police stations (it must be either a National Police station or a foreigners' office) are showing 2 to 3 months waiting times.

In your case I would advise either contacting someone to do it for you (a solicitor or a company like Matt at One Way services in Quesada) to do it for you OR, depending on where you are in UK, to do it through the Spanish consulate. This is quicker and cheaper. I believe it is done at the Spanish consulate in London or Edinburgh only and then it will take around 3 weeks.

It is not necessary to have an NIE number to open a bank account. You will need your NI number from UK and tell the bank you are applying for a NIE.

If you use a company or a solicitor then you can leave all your details with them and they will do it for you in your absence but will still be reliant on getting an appointment.

Please note that, in Torrevieja, the applications for NIE and residency have increased by over 50% in the last 6 months and this is virtually the same in all the offices.
Another bugbear is that you would either have to speak Spanish or have someone who speaks Spanish at several of the police stations.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Shiva » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:27 pm

marcliff wrote:You need an appointment to get an NIE. There is, currently, at least a month waiting time to get an appointment and some National Police stations (it must be either a National Police station or a foreigners' office) are showing 2 to 3 months waiting times.

In your case I would advise either contacting someone to do it for you (a solicitor or a company like Matt at One Way services in Quesada) to do it for you OR, depending on where you are in UK, to do it through the Spanish consulate. This is quicker and cheaper. I believe it is done at the Spanish consulate in London or Edinburgh only and then it will take around 3 weeks.

It is not necessary to have an NIE number to open a bank account. You will need your NI number from UK and tell the bank you are applying for a NIE.

If you use a company or a solicitor then you can leave all your details with them and they will do it for you in your absence but will still be reliant on getting an appointment.

Please note that, in Torrevieja, the applications for NIE and residency have increased by over 50% in the last 6 months and this is virtually the same in all the offices.
Another bugbear is that you would either have to speak Spanish or have someone who speaks Spanish at several of the police stations.

I think Marcliff tells it straight here... You can do it yourself if you have the time , patience and speak sufficient Spanish ( or have someone to translate/ interpret for you.) But quite a lot of time is involved, both personal and calendar time waiting to get an appointment. Everyone makes choices to fit their personal situation: for me it was easiest ( and ultimately most cost-effective) to have it done through my solicitor. So NIE was done quickly and easily, fitted to suit my diary of the three days I happened to be in Spain, they had the apts, they brought me there ( Elche) and I was in and out within 2O minutes. My solicitor also booked me in with the local bank manager to get the bank account sorted. For me this was LA Caixa but she told me if I preferred a different bank she could set that up. Ultimately none of this came the cheapest but cost-effective doesn't always mean cheapest... How you choose to go about it is really dependent on your personal circumstances, time available etc.
Shiva

Postby Wabryce » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:01 pm

I am in the same position as yourself, we booked an appointment on line with consulate in Edinburgh on our return to UK, you down load all forms, you go along to your prebooked appointment, aparantly 3 weeks to complete, as guys said book an appointment at bank beforehand, Caixa Bank were very helpful when opening our account.

All the best
Wabryce

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby walnut » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:30 pm

With the influx of "foreigners" in Spain,particularly those buying property,has put a huge strain on the Spanish bureaucratic systems....systems that are already outdated and way behind the rest of Europe. Therefore,staffing levels have not increased from ten years ago,hence,the volume of applicants cannot be physically dealt with.
I personally had to apply for a replacement NIE recently and it still took six weeks to gain an appointment.
Be patient and believe it won't happen on a 4 day trip without an appointment.
Good luck
walnut

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby LouisB » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi, I took the decision to enlist the help of a company to sssist me in getting my NIE, yes I did have to pay for this but it was worth it
The cost was approx €99, plus the notorie fee of €90 approx
The whole thing was completed within three weeks,They. Arranged for an interview with the attorney for me locally in Spain
I received my original NIE and the power of attorney documents back at my UK address , with a scan of the NIE sent to me
a week earlier.
The company was (others are available) I suggest you check out Facebook/the internet
https://www.nie4spainonline.com/
This represents my experience with this company, do your research to see if this method is. Best for you:
LouisB

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Harada

Postby Yan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:32 pm

You need to get a bank account opened first and filled with euros, because once the process begins, you will see various amounts being required for a number of different transactions. This is all prior to you completing and paying ( normally ) by bankers draft. Keep in mind the additional cost of the bankers draft. You will find that when sitting with the notary, the bankers draft is the most recognised method of payment. When we purchased they wouldn't allow a transfer of the final funds, but required the draft to be handed over and signed for in sight of the notary. We had made 5 payments prior to that for amongst other things estate agents fees, solicitors fees etc. We used a local expat to sort out the NIE for a fee and he dealt with everything including bumping us to the front of the queue, after we had arrived late. He was well known by the staff at Elche police station, so we were relieved to walk away with our certificates less than 15 minutes later. I think you need to bite the bullet an accept that you will have to pay someone to obtain your NIE, even though it may seem to be an extortionate fee for very little work. When you are holding that certificate in your hands you will realise it was money well spent. Wait until you have to go through the process of residencia LOL.
Yan

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada