Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Garage converted

Garage converted

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:25 pm

Has anybody had a garage converted into some kind of living space? I am wondering how much it cost, planning permission etc etc. Many thanks
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Re: Garage converted

Postby Gasplumbman » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:00 am

This seems to be an expensive item planning permission architects seem to charge the best part of 2 grand to obtain planning permission and draw the plains up,and if you do it regardless and get caught I,m told it could be very expensive,everybody will tell you to go Don Aluminio who on here advertises on here,
Gasplumbman

Which part of Spain are you from?: Orihuela costa

Postby Chrisdee » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:46 am

Yes, 2 grand is what we've been told for the Architect and permission alone without any work being done. We are getting a couple of quotes but it looks like it's going to be an expensive job.
Chrisdee

Postby Chrisdee » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:51 am

When you've not had this kind of thing done you've no idea of price it would be nice to hear from somebody who has had it done so we have a rough idea. You'd think it's fairly easy, empty crap out of garage, line the walls and move bed in, ummm no, a bit more involved.
Chrisdee

Postby Jan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:17 am

Chrisdee wrote:When you've not had this kind of thing done you've no idea of price it would be nice to hear from somebody who has had it done so we have a rough idea. You'd think it's fairly easy, empty crap out of garage, line the walls and move bed in, ummm no, a bit more involved.

We have had this done in the UK (a year ago) The Architect plans/council planning permission and building regulations all came to approx £2000.
Not sure how thorough it is in Spain but there were quite a numbers of inspections done by the council even though we are a detached house and it was not affecting any adjacent neighbours. There was Fire regulation's which included inspecting windows to make sure they could be used as fire escapes in the event of fire (not sure how this works in Spain with the grilles) and wired in smoke alarms.
If you are including a shower/bathroom like we did, then there are obviously more regulations to take into account, like joining up to existing water and waste pipes. The new electricity to the conversion has to be checked too as it is being fixed and be certificated.
There was quite a lot more to it than we thought but in the end it was good to know it was done properly.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby Chrisdee » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:24 am

Thank you for all that. We are going to do it all above board but don't think they bother so much with the safety aspects here. When dad mentioned an escape route we told him it would be an early cremation if he couldn't get out.
Chrisdee

Postby Jan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:34 am

Chrisdee wrote:Thank you for all that. We are going to do it all above board but don't think they bother so much with the safety aspects here. When dad mentioned an escape route we told him it would be an early cremation if he couldn't get out.

You can put your own smoke alarms in there. We have had them in the house in Spain for years (even when we couldn't find any in Spain 14 years ago, we brought our own over from UK) They are in the shops now though. Seems even more necessary in Spain with all those grilles.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby Chrisdee » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:40 am

Thank you Jan
Chrisdee

Postby Molly » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:12 pm

Hi Chrisdee
I had my house designed by architect Sergio Gonsales in Rojales ([email protected]). Ask him for a price. I used a company called Capamar ([email protected]) to build the house. Excellent work and a company you can trust does what they promises. If you want to see the quality of the work pm me.
Molly

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby scotfree » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:35 pm

Just make sure it is described on your ecritura.I had a tussle when buying a property in this area recently for an installation which had not been included.This was confirmed by an Abogardo,not someone called"solicitor" as an illegal build.I was well aware of this as I have owned & sold a number of properties in Spain but not in this area,but was so annoyed to see how newly arrived people,& like myself many years ago,of course rely on the facts given which may not be correct.
scotfree

Which part of Spain are you from?: cuidad quesada

Next