Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Registration on Extranjeria

Registration on Extranjeria

Postby Yan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:26 am

Information on the new website: after the home page the majority of the documents etc are in Spanish.

The Spanish government message on the website is clear: UK citizens living in Spain for more than 3 months must ensure they are correctly registered with Extranjería (the Central Foreigners Register), to obtain a registration certificate that will be useful in either a deal or no-deal scenario.

-- --

In the case of an exit with an agreement, the registration certificate will allow you to exercise your rights as set out under the Withdrawal Agreement.
The website also says that in the event of an exit without an agreement, the registration certificate will allow British citizens to continue to live in Spain and obtain any new documents required by the Spanish immigration system. For further information on residency visit the Living In Guide.
Yan

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Registration on Extranjeria

Postby TonTri » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:08 pm

Yan, do you know how you go about signing on the register?
TonTri

Postby marcliff » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:56 pm

The "Extranjeria" is what we call the residencia.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Yan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:03 pm

Marcliff is correct, it's just official jargon for the residencia, but at least the new website may help to inform.
Yan

Postby TonTri » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:19 pm

marcliff wrote:The "Extranjeria" is what we call the residencia.

Is that the same as the register of extranjeros? It's just that the OP says anyone staying more than 3 months should sign on whereas you can't get residencia unless you are here 6 months or more. I'm a bit confused.
TonTri

Postby marcliff » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:53 pm

No, the rules are that anyone staying more than 3 months should ratify their status as either resident or non-resident. The 6 months and over is for fiscal residency, that is you will then become a tax resident in Spain. You can be on the (long title) Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Union
Which is why it is easier to refer to it as residency.
The UK gov site explains it all.
Residency in Spain
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby TonTri » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:13 pm

marcliff wrote:No, the rules are that anyone staying more than 3 months should ratify their status as either resident or non-resident. The 6 months and over is for fiscal residency, that is you will then become a tax resident in Spain. You can be on the (long title) Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Union
Which is why it is easier to refer to it as residency.
The UK gov site explains it all.
Residency in Spain

Thanks for the link Marcliff but now I am even more confused!! On that link it says that we should apply for non-residency and sign on the padron if we stay longer than 3 months a year. Not long ago on a previous post I was told in no uncertain terms that it is illegal to sign on the padron if I'm not resident and would receive a large fine. It now looks as though I was given duff information if it says to the contrary on the UK Gov website. Aaaahh
TonTri

Postby Paulr » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:24 pm

Hi TonTri,

I'm not surprised you're confused. It is, indeed, illegal to sign onto the Padrón if you are not Resident in Spain. However, the Town Halls (Ayuntamientos) obtain funding from central government based on the number of people they have on their Padrón register, so they have for many years actively encouraged non-residents to sign on the Padrón too - it's not a problem for the Town Halls, as it's the individuals who can be fined.

To compound matters, when you apply for Residencia, one of the documents required is your Padrón certificate!

This is Spain...... happy days! :D

Paul
Paulr

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera

Postby tinak » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:51 pm

Hi, a bit slightly offf topic but have I read that after brexit we can only stay in spain for 90 days in any one year? Currently it’s 180 i think?
TIA
tinak

Which part of Spain are you from?: dona pepa