Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Sunday trade laws

Re: Sunday trade laws

Postby marcliff » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:34 pm

DTR wrote:
cavacava wrote:Shock to hear sunday trade laws have stop large stores from closing in torrevieja till June. A big step backwards and can not believe that this wil be good for the economy. Why do the government pass this law. It should be free trade and the decision should be up to the retail stores to decide we live in the 21st century and we should be moveing foward not backwards seems spanish change there law like the weather .I'm a big fan of sunday shopping has only time I have free and i m sure in not the only person who thinks this law is an ass. Bring back sunday trading all year and the big boys should be trying harder to change this stupid law who ever put it in place does not belong in the 21st century. Viva sunday shopping.bring back our shops
Lets make a big protest we need seven days shopping all year. We do it in uk .America. catch up spain dont be such kill joys give us back our sunday shopping . Petition needs to be put in place get on with it .

A petition is a great idea. You start it off and we'll all sign it for sure.

Don't forget to address it to the Valencia Parliament.
Plaça de Sant Llorenç, 4, 46003 València

In Valencian, preferably, although Spanish might do.
I'm sure they will dust off a bit of the step outside to do the protesting and those nice men in the blue jackets with the guns strapped to their sides will show you every courtesy when you wave your placards. (that little sign they make when rolling their finger around their ear means they think you're a bit tonto, by the way).
Don't forget, it's your human, nay God given, right to be able to buy a curtain rod, 4 metres of knicker elastic, try on a dozen pairs of shoes and throw all the clothes on the floor in Primark on a Sunday as well as every other day of the week. And, of course, we don't get the internet around here to buy bigger things on line, do we?

If you put it in a letter, they may respond by pointing out there is a large shopping mall (Dos Mares) about 20 minutes down the road, there are around 5 or 6 mini supermarkets within 5 km of Quesada which open on Sundays and a couple of markets where you can buy the said knicker elastic, the curtain rod and the shoes (although they aren't as accommodating as the shoe shops if you want to try on a dozen or so pairs).

Best of luck. I hear Chelmsford shops (what's left of them) open on Sundays.

marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Algorfaista » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:58 pm

When in Spain, as the saying goes, embrace the Spanish way of doing things, if it does not suit you return to your homeland
Algorfaista

Which part of Spain are you from?: Algorfa

Postby PeteKnight » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:33 pm

First of all, this isn’t a new thing. The law was passed last year and impacted subdued opening last year in a more significant way, as some of the quotes of available Sundays had already been used-up in the early months of the year.
As far as I understand, the previous arrangement was an exemption to the existing Sunday trading laws, allowing shops in what was designated a ‘tourist area’ to open all year around. When the exemption was removed, it reverted to the original law which limits the number of Sundays and bank holidays when shops can open. I think that the shops can choose which Sundays to open (I might be wrong), but that they choose to maximise their income by deploying this quota of opening dates at the peak of the tourist season.

Personally, my sympathies were with the staff who were relying on the income from working on Sundays, when this option was removed with almost no notice. I’m not at all religious, and place no significance on Sundays, but you have to respect the laws of the host country.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Ginger » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:18 pm

We lived in France fir many years before locating to Spain, both countries class Sunday as a family day, therefore shops and many other businesses are closed. To be honest I agree, there are 6 other days, with late night closing to go shopping.
Ginger

Which part of Spain are you from?: Cartagena, murcia

Postby Spannygranny » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:52 pm

I agree with Marcliff, let the shop workers have a day with their families.
Spannygranny

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Noel on Keys » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:46 pm

But going to a shopping center like La Zenia boulevard is a family day out....for people who work all week and get a Sunday off can’t take their children shopping on a Sunday....it’s a irrational !

Spannygranny wrote:I agree with Marcliff, let the shop workers have a day with their families.
Noel on Keys

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benijofar

Postby polop » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:56 pm

Most people get 2 days a week off ,so go on the other day..
polop

Which part of Spain are you from?: La finca

Postby brandyboy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:28 pm

It´s nice to have one quieter day each week.
Well done to the Valencian government for recognising that. As said it´s Spain, who are we expats to dictate to them.
brandyboy

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Paulr » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:02 am

I agree with Pete Knight - it may be a mild inconvenience for some of us, but if anyone is entitled to have their opinion heard, it's the Spanish workers.

My wife and I got chatting to an assistant in the Swarovski shop at Zenia Boulevard - she spoke excellent English, so we were asking her about Spanish "sayings". During our conversation, she told us that learning English was essential to her career as a teacher, but she worked Sundays at the Boulevard to supplement her income.

It's very easy, as foreigners, to want to impose our version of "normal" on other countries, and some Spanish people may also be unhappy about the Sunday trading laws re-introduced in the Valencian region, but so be it. As Marcliff has posted, there are alternatives if you really can't shop on any other day except Sunday.
Paulr

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera

Postby Gasplumbman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:16 pm

Yes its not good for those that lose wages,but we are in Spain if you don,t like it,move simple as personally I,m now Spanish as I live here a little inconvenient I admit but I can survive a whole 3 month without going shopping on a Sunday now where's the beach
Gasplumbman

Which part of Spain are you from?: Orihuela costa

PreviousNext