Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Sunday trade laws

Sunday trade laws

Postby cavacava » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:00 am

Shock to hear sunday trade laws have stop large stores from closing in torrevieja till June. A big step backwards and can not believe that this wil be good for the economy. Why do the government pass this law. It should be free trade and the decision should be up to the retail stores to decide we live in the 21st century and we should be moveing foward not backwards seems spanish change there law like the weather .I'm a big fan of sunday shopping has only time I have free and i m sure in not the only person who thinks this law is an ass. Bring back sunday trading all year and the big boys should be trying harder to change this stupid law who ever put it in place does not belong in the 21st century. Viva sunday shopping.bring back our shops
Lets make a big protest we need seven days shopping all year. We do it in uk .America. catch up spain dont be such kill joys give us back our sunday shopping . Petition needs to be put in place get on with it .
cavacava

Which part of Spain are you from?: torrevieja

Re: Sunday trade laws

Postby Ronson » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:55 am

:text-goodpost:
Ronson

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo Quesada

Postby Dave c » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:14 am

Do you mean stopped them from opening.
Dave c

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby marcliff » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:49 am

Why start another thread and post exactly the same as you did on the other one?
I'll say again, it's not Spain, it's the Valencia region. You can still drive 20 minutes down the road into Murcia and the shops will be open.
If you want to live in Spain then respect the Spanish (in this case, the Valencian) ways.
Talks of protests by foreigners who want the Spanish to change into their way of life is typical of some of the expats.
I suppose it'll be siestas next.
Pray tell, why do we need 7 days shopping every week? Have you nothing else to do?
How about the fact that Spanish shops, in general, open far later than in UK? Shopping malls open to 10 or 11 at night as opposed to closing at 6 pm in UK or 8 pm on "late night" opening days? (apart from supermarkets).
Maybe have a protest that the shops don't close early enough but open on Sundays so you can actually find something to do.

And they only close on Sundays for just over 3 months of the year. You can feed your Sunday shopping frenzy for almost 9 months plus, of course, the Sundays markets should keep you going in the meanwhile.

It's Spain, not UK. Get used to it as the saying goes.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Yan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:57 am

:text-goodpost:Marcliff.
Yan

Postby elchedave » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:19 am

Yes Marcliff :text-goodpost:
elchedave

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby sunworshipper » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:27 am

I totally agree with Marcliff. We live in Spain and have to abide by their rules. If the Valencian government say no Sunday opening , then so be it. What right do foreigners have to change their rules. It's the same with fireworks, bull fighting, bureaucracy , siesta closing hours etc , you are living in Spain and if you don't like their rules then leave.
I love living in Spain and although some rules are not great, I will accept it and get on with my life.
:D :D
Happy in the sun.
sunworshipper

Postby DTR » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:29 am

cavacava wrote:Shock to hear sunday trade laws have stop large stores from closing in torrevieja till June. A big step backwards and can not believe that this wil be good for the economy. Why do the government pass this law. It should be free trade and the decision should be up to the retail stores to decide we live in the 21st century and we should be moveing foward not backwards seems spanish change there law like the weather .I'm a big fan of sunday shopping has only time I have free and i m sure in not the only person who thinks this law is an ass. Bring back sunday trading all year and the big boys should be trying harder to change this stupid law who ever put it in place does not belong in the 21st century. Viva sunday shopping.bring back our shops
Lets make a big protest we need seven days shopping all year. We do it in uk .America. catch up spain dont be such kill joys give us back our sunday shopping . Petition needs to be put in place get on with it .

A petition is a great idea. You start it off and we'll all sign it for sure.
DTR

Postby Jan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

A petition is not a good idea. We have to also remember that workers need time off and Spain has longer working hours generally in the week anyway, compared to UK.
Also the rules are such that it allows certain times of the year for Sunday openings which is good.

It''s easy to forget that it wasn't that long ago that the UK had every Sunday of the year closed and then they didn't even have late store/supermarket openings during the week like they do now.

We are lucky that in Spain many shops stay open until 9.30 or 10pm in Summer and it's unusual for shops to close at 5.30pm at any time of year as most do in UK. Even our UK Sunday openings generally close at 4pm.

We really should accept the Sunday law in Spain -If it was that unacceptable I'm sure the Spanish would protest.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby hobnob » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi...It's as Marcliff said...This opening rule applies to the Valencian community not all of Spain.
hobnob

Which part of Spain are you from?: benijofar

Next