Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Non Residents Certificate change?

Non Residents Certificate change?

Postby Jan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:38 pm

On our Costa forum a member has posted that banks are no longer to going arrange to get the Non Resident certificates for us Non residents any longer.
Seeing as the banks presently charge us around 30 euros (approx every 2 years) to do this and bearing in mind that apparently without an NR certificate our bank accounts could be closed, I am finding it hard to get my head around this.
At present the banks send us forms to fill in and send off. If they stopped doing this surely it wouldn't be in the interest of the banks themselves? ?
Does anyone know anything about this?
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Re: Non Residents Certificate change?

Postby Babu » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:37 pm

I bank with Sabadell and have heard nothing of this. I have to say I have never seen a non-resident certificate nor have I been sent any forms to fill in either . . . . just get the charge you mention every 2 years, the last one of which was September 2018 . . .
Babu

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Raso

Postby Jan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:46 pm

Babu wrote:I bank with Sabadell and have heard nothing of this. I have to say I have never seen a non-resident certificate nor have I been sent any forms to fill in either . . . . just get the charge you mention every 2 years, the last one of which was September 2018 . . .

Thank you. We are with Sabadell and TBH I can only remember filling in a couple of forms in 14 years, so like you I'm assuming it is done automatically now as we do get charged the fees.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby elchedave » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:40 am

You should also inform your bank each time you renew the passport (s) of each account holder, failure to do so could also see your account closed. I was informed of this by the BBVA bank many years ago.
elchedave

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby Babu » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:07 am

elchedave wrote:You should also inform your bank each time you renew the passport (s) of each account holder, failure to do so could also see your account closed. I was informed of this by the BBVA bank many years ago.

I think that may have changed since 2017 when the Banks went through the process of requiring your home country National Insurance number instead of Passport number to validate accounts, but will check next week anyway as my wife has just renewed hers, thanks.
Babu

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Raso

Postby elchedave » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:12 am

Babu wrote:
elchedave wrote:You should also inform your bank each time you renew the passport (s) of each account holder, failure to do so could also see your account closed. I was informed of this by the BBVA bank many years ago.

I think that may have changed since 2017 when the Banks went through the process of requiring your home country National Insurance number instead of Passport number to validate accounts, but will check next week anyway as my wife has just renewed hers, thanks.

Please let us know the outcome of this, we had to give our new passport numbers to the bank last year & they have never asked for our national insurance numbers. We are residents here though so don't know if that makes any difference.
Regards,
Dave
elchedave

Postby Paulr » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:37 pm

Hi Elchedave,

The requirement to provide your National Insurance number to your Spanish bank was in response to FATCA (anti-tax evasion) laws introduced by the EU in 2015. The banks were given the responsibility of collecting the information by September 2017; similarly, UK banks asked customers who owned property abroad to provide their tax reference for that country. For bank customers in the UK who failed to give this information, their 'delinquency' was reported to HMRC, who then gave UK citizens an 'amnesty' until September 2018 to declare overseas assets.

Spanish banks took a much more 'proactive' approach to customers who failed to provide the required information, with reports on TQ and the Costa Blanca forum of some people having had their bank accounts 'frozen'; similarly, with failing to advise your bank about a passport renewal.

I hadn't realised that we'd already provided our NI numbers to Sabadell, but my wife told me that it was part of the application process when we opened our account in April 2016, after the date that the FATCA regs were introduced.

HMRC and Agencia Tributaria (Spanish tax office) 'speak' to each other anyway, so they may already have exchanged this information direct, but I wouldn't rely on that. As the Spanish banks take a much more bullish approach to this, I think it would make sense for Non-residents and Residents alike to proactively ensure their bank has the information it requires, so thanks for the info about passports: we can add that to the list, along with tax reference/NI numbers.

Personally, I think it's good to hear that the banks can no longer use this as a money-making scheme. I can see the rationale for why it started off that way in 2015, but I hope it will now sit with the Agencia Tributaria - and at no cost!

My 'Oracle' is researching it now and I look forward to any other updates others can find.

Best wishes,
Paul
Paulr

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera

Postby elchedave » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:39 pm

Thanks for that information Paulr, We have changed branches within the BBVA twice now, the last time being from Rojales to Guardamar when we moved house last year, so i am hopeful that they have all the information required. I will however call in & get confirmation from them in the next days.
Regards,
Dave
elchedave

Postby Brightonsuperwomn » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi, as soon as I read on here this morning that banks require info on new passports I went to my bank (Sabadell) and, yes, they do require it. So thank you for info.
Brightonsuperwomn

Which part of Spain are you from?: Alicante

Postby elchedave » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:26 pm

Brightonsuperwomn wrote:Hi, as soon as I read on here this morning that banks require info on new passports I went to my bank (Sabadell) and, yes, they do require it. So thank you for info.

You're welcome, it is a little known law & something most of us never think about. I did think it was still a requirement but with the NI number also now being a requirement i wasn't certain.
Regards,
Dave
elchedave

Next