Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Self service petrol stations

Self service petrol stations

Postby morioxi » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:51 am

Hi does anyone else get a 99 euro charge on there bank card when using the self service petrol stations, i have used 2 different ones recently and charged 99 euros then immediately put back into my account, and just charged for the fuel I buy.
morioxi

Which part of Spain are you from?: rojales hills

Re: Self service petrol stations

Postby marcliff » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:58 am

Didn't happen to me at the one by the new Aldi when I used it with a debit card. It does happen in UK at some stations, though with a credit card.
The Telegraph had an article on it.

Fury at £99 charge
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby bangorbob » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:22 pm

Yes this has happened to me, it only happens when I hit the Full option, if only €60 goes in the tank then the balance is returned to my account the next day.
bangorbob

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby morioxi » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:33 pm

I filled up at San luis, the 99 was never actually taken,it just shown up in my statement, but instantly put in. The other time was in Rojales, when I only put in 25 euros.
morioxi

Postby PeteKnight » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:19 pm

As our holiday home is near Villamartin, I frequently shop at Alcampo and there you get a discount voucher for fuel at their petrol station. The price of fuel there is good anyway, and the voucher makes it more appealing.
However, I was getting this €90 charge applied to my card, plus the cost of the fuel. It often takes around 4 days for the charge to be returned, and as I’m using a UK debit card it’s easy to lose out with exchange rate fees and changes in the rate.

I now go up to the kiosk with my voucher and a €50 note, which they hold until I’ve filled-up. They then give you the change, if there is any, or tell you what the balance is - which you pay in cash.
It does mean that you can only pay cash when you do it this way, but for me that’s preferable to the alternative.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Ginger » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:15 pm

This happens at most self service stations, over the years this has happened in many countries including UK, France, Germany Belgium etc. The amount, be it 90, 99 or 100+ euros is authorisation for fuel up to that amount, it us a credit check ensuring you have funds available. Put fuel into your vehicle and that is the amount deducted from your bank account or shown on your credit card. The original authorisation is then refunded. It USA system operated by many businesses, th3 most well known are car hire companies.
Ginger

Which part of Spain are you from?: Cartagena, murcia

Postby frenchie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:21 pm

You can fall foul of this if using a preloaded currency card as you need to have the higher balance available even if you are only dispensing 10 euro

As i found out recently
frenchie

Which part of Spain are you from?: san fulgencio

Postby morioxi » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:24 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies, i now know that is normal.And nothing to be concerned about.
morioxi

Postby Black » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:16 pm

I sometimes use the one near La Marquesa golf. I usually prepay €50 but take less to fill. I've never seen the prepayment show up on my (Sabadell) account, only the actual amount.
Black

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby JohnES » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:15 pm

It is only when you select the full option. Sabadell used to debit the account by €99 and then show the credit immediately after.
They now show only the amount you have been charged.
JohnES

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Next