Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Driving

Re: Driving

Postby Red Rock » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:33 pm

Seen it all over here.
A few weeks ago I was walking from the market to the China Bazaar in Rojales. In front of me was an old Spanish lady with one of those roller bags she turned the corner in front of me and seconds later I heard a loud bang. Thinking she had been knocked down I ran to the road only to see she was on the other side but a Fiesta driven by a young Spanish guy had been side shunted by an older Spanish lady coming out of side road. Made a real mess of the side of the car.
Red Rock

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby richardlionheart » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:32 pm

The standard of driving i n spain is dismal. Is the spanish driving test so easy to pass? weve only been here since september, and weve seen all of the above. These people seem to have no concept of how roundabouts work, No grasp of what a give way line is for. No notice is taken of speed limits, Is it even illegal in spain to use a phone whilst driving?

parkign is every man for himself. They seem to just park the car wherever they are - middle of a busy road, on dual carriagways, on corners, across pedestrian crossings, even the inside lane of roundabouts. They just stop, get out and walk away.
richardlionheart

Location: not cold grey expensive police state UK, thank god.

Postby A.N.Other » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:17 am

Hey, you're in Spain.

Presumably you've chosen to live here so get over it!
A.N.Other

Which part of Spain are you from?: Almoradi

Postby TonTri » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:24 am

A.N.Other wrote:Hey, you're in Spain.

Such an unneccessary comment!

Just because you've chosen to live somewhere doesn't prevent you from commenting or making observations about it. People in the UK continuously moan about the weather but they still choose to live there.
TonTri

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Chrisdee » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:34 am

Wherever you choose to live the people of that Country should still obey the rules! Get over it!!

A.N.Other wrote:Hey, you're in Spain.

Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Algorfaista » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:16 am

When in Rome do as the Roman's do. Probably the reason you have left UK is because all rules and laws are altered to suit non English. Thankfully Spain looks after their own, their driving foibles are a small price to pay for the pleasure of living here.
Algorfaista

Which part of Spain are you from?: Algorfa

Postby Chrisdee » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:26 am

So are you of the opinion you can do just whatever you like? What's the limit of that?
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby marcliff » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:53 am

The Spanish driving test is one of the hardest to pass, believe it or not.
As for roundabouts, how many Brits actually look up the Spanish highway code (there is one) to see the correct way of using them? Or anything that is different here, come to that?
Plus the expats from various countries seem to get into the mindset of anything goes. I have been overtaken as speeds muy rapido with cars with GB plates and others. Also cut up on roundabouts by same plated cars.
They also get into the same routine with not using indicators (just think how much the car makers could save by not fitting them as they seem to be a waste).
Pulling out of supermarket carparks without looking seems to be a thing here and there are very few actual Spanish nationals using the supermarkets around here or, especially, Iceland in Torrevieja which is a "make sure you have eyes in the back of your head" place.
As for mobile phones, yes they do have laws against it but I have seen as many drivers in UK using them as I have over here.
Oh, and lane discipline on motorways is particularly bad by all drivers but especially the Spanish. Usually 2 feet behind me and never, ever moving into the inside lane when the road ahead is clear.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby A.N.Other » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:42 am

When you've worked and lived (and driven) in as many countries of the world as I have you very quickly learn that the key to survival on the road is to drive like the locals!

FWIW I've witnessed as much if not more poor driving in UK as anywhere a big difference being that there its all too often pure aggression as opposed to carelessness and stupidity elsewhere and that's far more dangerous.
A.N.Other

Which part of Spain are you from?: Almoradi

Postby Roach » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:27 pm

The standard of driving is both pants here and in the UK although i have been left shaking my head every time i go on the road here which is why i bought a dash cam. It's puzzling as Spain has some very good professional drivers.

The Spanish way of parking though is funny. Very laid back lol.
Roach

Which part of Spain are you from?: San Miguel

PreviousNext