Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Itchy Dogs

Itchy Dogs

Postby Busters Mum » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:25 pm

A strange question I know, but has anyone else who walks their dogs around El Recorral, or the ‘broken road’ , found that their dogs are getting itchy skin, particularly on their legs?
Mine have been treated at the vet since November on an elimination diet but it hasn’t helped so we think it’s environmental.
I’m trying to figure out what’s causing it
Busters Mum

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Re: Itchy Dogs

Postby jpeg » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:28 pm

Could be the council have sprayed the area to keep the pest down
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Chrisdee » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:52 pm

Those horrible caterpilars?
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Busters Mum » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:08 pm

No, it started in November with one of them, and the other two started more recently. They’re being walked on leads so we’d see if they got near caterpillars.
Busters Mum

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby Gasplumbman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:29 am

Not in your area but my dog does usually starts in September- October and has got progressively worse year on year,and is taking longer to get him normal,this year it's gone on until now at last getting better,we've had differing treatments,I believe it all started with dust mites 4 years ago,sorry cannot give you an answer
Gasplumbman

Which part of Spain are you from?: Orihuela costa

Postby Lavender » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:24 am

Busters Mum wrote:No, it started in November with one of them, and the other two started more recently. They’re being walked on leads so we’d see if they got near caterpillars.

I wouldn't walk my dogs anywhere near the pine trees. You don't have to see the caterpillars for them to do damage to your dogs. The caterpillars leave hairs on the ground where they have been and if your dog sniffs at the ground then the hairs can harm them. My dog lost half of his tongue due to sniffing the ground where they had been and we didn't see the caterpillars either and there was only one pine tree on the road where we walked him. The signs of a dog being affected by them are frothing at the mouth, being sick and not letting you touch their mouth. I got him to the vets in time to save his life, but after a couple of days the end of his tongue turned grey and literally dropped off.
Lavender

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Ginger » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:53 pm

Good reply from Lavender, it us not the caterpillar which is the problem but the hairs they shed when disturbed. These hairs can lay active on the ground for a few days so best to keep dogs away from pine trees showing evidence if caterpillars.
Ginger

Which part of Spain are you from?: Cartagena, murcia

Postby tweetygreen » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:53 am

Cat food spread daily on the broken road, attracts not only a lot of wild and domestic cats, which multiply unregulated. Backteries, diseases and parasites are also the logical consequence for humans and animals. Unfortunately, the cat feeders do not think that far.
tweetygreen

Postby GLASSMAN » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:32 am

In reply to above post,Benijofar, Formentura del segura, appoint registered cat feeders,and have a capture ,neuter and release program and have specific areas for feeding feral cats,showing a responsible way of dealing with the feral cat population,Not sure if Rojales council have the same,hope they do!prehaps Martin the artist knows as hes a good source of info,and p.s. theres lots of caterpillars nesting in the pine trees/nature park at the back of Rojales Mercadonna and around the cave houses.
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby Dukelton » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:56 am

Hi, sorry this is a bit late. I am a police dog trainer of some years. There may be many causes for itchiness in hot climates. Daily dust, mites, and the most common one is salt water. If you walk your dog around the sea, make sure the salt water is thoroughly rinsed back home, making sure not to shampoo. ( this will take natural oils out )
Dukelton

Which part of Spain are you from?: Orihuela Costa

Next