Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Elche police station residency

Elche police station residency

Postby nannyabroad » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:26 am

New rules were posted on the wall at Elche police station yesterday re residency. You now need two years bank statements showing your pension being paid into the Spanish bank account and your marriage certificate if applicable translated into Spanish. This is of course in addition to previous requirements. Unfortunately our appointment was made three weeks ago and we got refused because we only had three months bank accounts, which was the previous requirement. Several English couples were being turned away. There was unfortunately no way of knowing the new requirements as the notice was put up as we stood there. Representatives of people were taking their mobiles out to take pictures as they also were unaware. Hope this information helps anyone attending Elche for residency in the near future.
nannyabroad

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales Hills

Re: Elche police station residency

Postby Shiva » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:50 am

Two years' bank statements showing pension paid into a Spanish bank? That would suggest people need to have been living ( presumably then illegally)in Spain for two years before applying for residency in order to fulfil residency requirements....
Shiva

Postby nannyabroad » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:57 am

Yes indeed crossed our minds also. But was not going to argue with the Policia and his notice. Lol.
nannyabroad

Postby Glassfull » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:26 am

Shiva wrote:Two years' bank statements showing pension paid into a Spanish bank? That would suggest people need to have been living ( presumably then illegally)in Spain for two years before applying for residency in order to fulfil residency requirements....

Glassfull

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby marcliff » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:20 pm

What a ridiculous requirement. Someone buying here would have to wait 2 years to get residency and they say you must do it if you are here for more than 6 months?
Are they deliberately trying to stop people getting residency? (I assume this rule applies to everyone, not just Brits).
The only thing I dislike about Spain is the stupid bureaucracy. Advice from the Spanish government: "Make sure you are legal with residency and driving licences etc before UK leaves the EU"
And then they come up with yet another stupid regulation to make it impossible to do so.

I am drafting a letter to the EU (it gives an address on the europa page) to question this. The EU rules are that you are to prove you are financially viable in any EU country by simply showing a credit card with enough of a balance to meet the financial requirements. I feel this is violating the spirit of the EU rules on residency as there is nothing in the rules that state you need to have 2 years financial ties to Spain before obtaining it.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby nannyabroad » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:27 pm

Totally agree with you Marcliff. Our lawyer is waiting for another appointment but who knows if the rules will change yet again.
nannyabroad

Postby jpeg » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:27 pm

Does this mean that the Green A4 paper I have is useless as a proof of residency status ?
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby costalad » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:42 pm

Might be worth a call the British Embassy and ask if they will get involved, after all as the post says this rule automatically puts you against the law of Spain. They have always been very helpful when I have called them
costalad

Which part of Spain are you from?: Albatera

Postby TomCass » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:11 pm

I know it's of no comfort, but from someone who has been here and a Resident for almost 20 years, this a typical move by the authority offices when swamped...they change the guidelines and play the paperwork game.
According to the El Pais newspaper a week or so back, they are swamped with applications in certain areas and I would imagine the Costa Blanca, having the highest level of Brits, is one where you are going to run into more of this.
TomCass

Which part of Spain are you from?: Montebello

Postby Shiva » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:36 pm

marcliff wrote:What a ridiculous requirement. Someone buying here would have to wait 2 years to get residency and they say you must do it if you are here for more than 6 months?
Are they deliberately trying to stop people getting residency? (I assume this rule applies to everyone, not just Brits).
The only thing I dislike about Spain is the stupid bureaucracy. Advice from the Spanish government: "Make sure you are legal with residency and driving licences etc before UK leaves the EU"
And then they come up with yet another stupid regulation to make it impossible to do so.

I am drafting a letter to the EU (it gives an address on the europa page) to question this. The EU rules are that you are to prove you are financially viable in any EU country by simply showing a credit card with enough of a balance to meet the financial requirements. I feel this is violating the spirit of the EU rules on residency as there is nothing in the rules that state you need to have 2 years financial ties to Spain before obtaining it.
:text-goodpost: Good for you Marcliff, these things need challenged, those of us still in the process don't really want to rock the boat too much while going on, although frankly this one crosses the line so much logically and legally that I can't see how it can be allowed to carry on. Will see the lie of the land myself next week and will not let it rest if they try it...
Shiva

Next