Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Router password

Re: Router password

Postby richardlionheart » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:31 pm

hmm, i might ask them then.... the worst they can do is tell me to *** off, i guess....
richardlionheart

Location: not cold grey expensive police state UK, thank god.

Postby Paul58 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:41 am

richardlionheart wrote:hmm, i might ask them then.... the worst they can do is tell me to *** off, i guess....

I know it's been a while but how did you get on?

My isp provided router is also "locked down"
I'm looking at using a 2nd router with all the ports forwarded from the ISP router/modem (DMZ). Not sure if this will work but happy to try.
Paul58

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby 2Sheds » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:10 am

It seems that ISPs no longer want customers to have admin access to the router (at least over here anyway).
On the one hand it prevents an idiot doing anything stupid, but there are two major drawbacks in this approach.

1. It prevents a non-idiot from being able to configure some very useful things such as DNS and Access Control.
2. The security to the heart of your network (ie router) is controlled by the ISP not you. I see that as a potential snoopers charter and security risk.

I wonder if ISPs can legally withhold router information?

Currently, in the UK I have full access to my router. Not so over here.
2Sheds

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby PeteKnight » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:23 am

Have you tried asking your ISP for your router password?
I asked Ole for mine and they supplied it, with the proviso that if I mess things up then I might need to pay them to fix it.

An alternative is to ask your ISP to forward all ports except port 80 (which they will use to remotely manage their router) to the LAN port, then connect a second router that you manage yourself. This is effectively what I do anyway, as the root access to my Ole supplied router still doesn't allow me to change the DNS settings.
I use a Netgear ac1200 router to provide DHCP on the network subnet of my choice and use my own wifi SSID rather than the somewhat cumbersome SSID used by the Ole router (which I could have changed once they supplied the password).
As our Spanish property is a holiday home, I use the same SSID in both the UK and Spain, which makes life simpler.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Paul58 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:25 am

PeteKnight wrote:Have you tried asking your ISP for your router password?
I asked Ole for mine and they supplied it, with the proviso that if I mess things up then I might need to pay them to fix it.

An alternative is to ask your ISP to forward all ports except port 80 (which they will use to remotely manage their router) to the LAN port, then connect a second router that you manage yourself. This is effectively what I do anyway, as the root access to my Ole supplied router still doesn't allow me to change the DNS settings.
I use a Netgear ac1200 router to provide DHCP on the network subnet of my choice and use my own wifi SSID rather than the somewhat cumbersome SSID used by the Ole router (which I could have changed once they supplied the password).
As our Spanish property is a holiday home, I use the same SSID in both the UK and Spain, which makes life simpler.

Pete.

Thanks for the info' Pete, very useful.

My original Telecable router (TP-Link) is already configured exactly how I want it. Would it be possible to use this by connecting it's WAN to new ISP router's LAN?

Thanks again.
Paul58

Postby PeteKnight » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:18 am

Paul58 wrote:
My original Telecable router (TP-Link) is already configured exactly how I want it. Would it be possible to use this by connecting it's WAN to new ISP router's LAN?

Thanks again.

Hi Paul,
Yes, potentially (there's always a "but").
Your TP-Link router will most likely have a modem built-in, and be set-up to use PPPoE on its WAN port (this would have allowed it to communicate with Telecable's servers). This may mean that you need to change the WAN port setting to "Dynamic IP", which will allow it to obtain an IP address from your new ISP's router.
You'll then need to figure-out what that new IP address is. The easiest way is to connect a PC to your new ISP's router then download and run Advanced IP Scanner to find what IP address your TP-Link router is now on. You'll then be able to log back in to it and continue the configuration.

The other issue is that your new ISP's router will be trying to allocate IP addresses using a particular subnet (maybe 192.168.100.xxx). If this is the case, the new router will be on 192.168.1.1 and the dynamically assigned IP for your TP-Link router will be something like 192.168.1.2

The TP-Link router's DHCP server needs to be set-up to hand-out IP addresses that don't conflict with the ones being handed-out by your new ISP's router, so the easier way is to use a different subnet such as 192.168.1.xxx

Your TP-Link router may already be set up like this.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Postby Paul58 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:53 am

PeteKnight wrote:
Paul58 wrote:

Thanks again.

Hi Paul,
Yes, potentially (there's always a "but").
Your TP-Link router will most likely have a modem built-in, and be set-up to use PPPoE on its WAN port (this would have allowed it to communicate with Telecable's servers). This may mean that you need to change the WAN port setting to "Dynamic IP", which will allow it to obtain an IP address from your new ISP's router.
You'll then need to figure-out what that new IP address is. The easiest way is to connect a PC to your new ISP's router then download and run Advanced IP Scanner to find what IP address your TP-Link router is now on. You'll then be able to log back in to it and continue the configuration.

The other issue is that your new ISP's router will be trying to allocate IP addresses using a particular subnet (maybe 192.168.100.xxx). If this is the case, the new router will be on 192.168.1.1 and the dynamically assigned IP for your TP-Link router will be something like 192.168.1.2

The TP-Link router's DHCP server needs to be set-up to hand-out IP addresses that don't conflict with the ones being handed-out by your new ISP's router, so the easier way is to use a different subnet such as 192.168.1.xxx

Your TP-Link router may already be set up like this.

Pete.

Thanks again Pete, I really appreciate your help.
The TP-Link router has a number of choices for the WAN port, including static IP & Dynamic IP. I thought static IP might work better as it shouldn't get re-assigned if power lost. Thanks also regarding using different subnets.

Cheers.
Paul58

Postby PeteKnight » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:40 pm

Yes, assigning a static IP is the best option, but just make sure that IP isn’t already used by another device on the network when you choose it. Once again, doing a network scan with Advanced IP Scanner before you start would enable you to ensure that you don’t create a conflict.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Previous