Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Painting railings

Painting railings

Postby djw » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:19 pm

I know preparation is the key to painting these railings and luckily we have flat simple ones but can anyone here tell me what to use now we need to repaint them? We have tiny bits of rusts showing in a few places and some small bits of flaking but would like to keep a good finish on them. Thanks in advance.

Carol
djw

Which part of Spain are you from?: Daya nueva

Re: Painting railings

Postby marcliff » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:38 pm

Scrape the rust and flaking bits off with a wire brush. Then sand down to give a smooth finish.
There's an equivalent to Hammerite over here. Leroy Merlin and Aki sell it but if you go to Quesada colours the chap there will give you advice on what to use and will match the colour for you.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby PeteKnight » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:45 pm

You should use Hammerite or one of the Spanish equivalents such as Luxens. People say that the Spanish versions are better at coping with the climate.
If you go for Hammerite then it is available in different finishes - hammered effect (hence the name) and smooth in both matte and gloss. There are probably similar choices in some of the Spanish products.
You need to read the instructions carefully and follow then properly. There is often a window in which you can apply a second coat, which if you miss you have to wait for several days before putting the second coat on.

If the railings are flat then you could try a small roller. I prefer brushes myself, but that's personal preference. Many people have good things to say about the Quesada Colours paint shop, so you might want to pop in there for some advice. I wouldn't try to touch-up the existing paintwork, prep the whole thing and paint them all in one go with the same paint.

One other thing about preparation. I used my jetwash to blast the old flaking paint off before rubbing-down the bits that weren't smooth and that worked very well. Also, you need to choose your time of year carefully. You don't want it to rain while you're painting or shortly afterwards as this will ruin the finish. You also don't want the weather to be too hot, as the paint will dry on the brush between the tin and the railings.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby djw » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:27 am

Thank you both for your replies.
djw

Which part of Spain are you from?: Daya nueva