Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Buying NEW or NEARLY NEW car

Buying NEW or NEARLY NEW car

Postby Tjay » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:57 pm

Hello
I’m looking to buy a new or used car in Spain.
A very small economical car to use in Quesada when we holiday here.
Which is cheapest or best to buy and where to go to buy?
Thank you
Tjay

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Marquesa

Re: Buying NEW or NEARLY NEW car

Postby Elpando » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:08 pm

Unless money isn't an issue, then personally I would not buy a new car for it to be sat for months at a time.
To be honest, 2nd hand cars in Spain are ridiculously over-priced.
Have you thought about bringing one from the UK and re-registering it? Obviously it will be a R/H drive but it's not the end of the world and you will get much more car for your money.
Elpando

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Crispin

Postby Nikon » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:25 pm

yes. we did this. purchased a car in spain and Elpando is correct its a expensive. way. but we looked at all the options in the end we purchased a good car. it was old but its been very well looked after and for the year low milage. , would I do it again YES. but its a lot of visiting garages we went to at least 9. everywhere in the end we went to the one just near ciudad quesdada. we purchased from
DACAR its a big garage facing. LIDL. they have some nice marques well worth a visit.
best of luck.
Nikon

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Algorfaista » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:34 pm

Buy NEW second hand VERY OVERPRICED and most have ridiculous mileage sorry kilometres
Algorfaista

Which part of Spain are you from?: Algorfa

Postby Tjay » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:57 pm

Thank you Elpando.
Yes,they are ridiculously expensive to buy in Spain. If we buy in UK and bring it over to Spain we will have to return it every year for the MOT (we dont want that hassle), unless we buy new. We are now checking prices of new in Spain (the cheapest ones as after all it will be left there doing nothing most of the year so really not sure.

Thank you Nikon.
We have already started spending our visits checking a few garages. We will definitely take a look at DACAR. It’s nice to get recommendations so thanks very much
Tjay

Postby marcliff » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:02 pm

Bit pointless buying a brand new car for just visits. It will simply sit outside the house and depreciate which they do very quickly over the first few years.
Bringing a car from UK will mean the steering wheel is on the wrong side (PITA at toll booths, carparks etc) and will cost pushing a thousand euro to get re-plated (less if you have the time to trawl through scrapyards for headlights).
It will then be virtually worthless as no one will want it except dealers who are selling to people returning to UK and you'll get a pittance for it.
Cars about 4 or 5 years old are the best buy. The will have lost all the initial value but then retain their value for years. Cars over 8 or 9 years old will be about the same price so, yes, very expensive.
Only positive is you will get a good price when you sell it.
Lots of dealers have what they call "almost new" cars at about 4 to 6 years old. Go down Avda de Cortes Valencianas in Torrevieja or the N340 leading into Elche from Crevillente. At least you can probably trust the service history and distance gauges from them whereas old Juan who flogs them on the side of the road not so much.

Some of the rental companies (like Centauro) sell off ex rentals. Goldcar Torrevieja used to but have now gone over to rentals only.

And just saw your little bit on the end of that post about taking it back to UK every year for an MOT. You can't stay with the car for more than 6 months in any one year without replating it to Spanish plates. Be very wary if you keep it on Brit plates and also be aware that there aren't many insurance companies that give you over 3 months insurance out of UK.
(That staying more than 6 months is cumulative and applies to you. If you try and explain to a Guardia Civil that, yes, the car has been here 10 months but we've only been here 4 months this year then you might not get a very sympathetic ear as you watch your car going through a crusher).
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Mac3blade » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:18 pm

Here’s the answer youwere waiting for!
Last February, we bought a brand new car and are sorry that we didn’t do so years ago.
We started by going to every garage in Torrevieja on the Avenue de Valencia. Notebook and pencil at the ready, I recorded every price and detail of their lower range cars. Some garages were offering 9 month old demonstrators but this ate into their guarantees. We finally went to Elche to the RENAULT /DACIA garage located on the Crevillante road coming into Elche on the left hand side of the dual carriageway
To cut a long story short, we decided to buy the Dacia Stepway Special edition. Sat nav, cruise control, rear sensors, everything you could want or need. On the road I think we paid around €11.650. With a 3 year warranty. Insurance cost about €280 . We contracted to park at the airport undercover with Kirsten Engel who collects and meets us outside Costa Coffee, she is so efficient. We are sent a picture of the car parked between 2 cars a short while afterwards. The year before we bought the car,we spent over £2,500 on hire cars so we refused to waste anymore on them. The Dacia is roomy and we are more than delighted with it.
If you need anymore info, let me know.
Best wishes,
Rosemary.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby Tjay » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:51 pm

Thank you Marcliff
Thank you Rosemary
Rosemary, we have been trying to find the Renault/Dacia garage as they seem to be good prices, especially for a small car we want, so thank you.
We now have a long list of things to do when we come back in a few weeks.
I’ll let you know if we get one.
Tracy
Tjay

Postby Mac3blade » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:33 am

Good morning Tracey,
We dealt with Francisco in the Dacia garage in Elche..he speaks good enough English.
Vital information.
You must apply ASAP for a traffic permit. Contact your solicitor and ask them to make the application at the nearest police station to your address. We had no idea about this and could not collect our car until we had it. Costs less than €10 but a whole process is required. The document will show all of your personal details and will be logged onto the computer along with your car registration.

Good luck. Rosemary.

N.B. Paying for your car....Arrange with your bank before going to Spain, tell them that you plan to buy a car and they will tell you your best options and you will need to sign a document. We had not planned on buying so were unable to physically go into our bank at home. They will not accept a credit card as it will cost them. I think my husband used his debit card after speaking with someone from our bank. I think we paid the deposit with a credit card. Hope this helps.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby earlybay » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:08 am

Dacia are good value, new and used vehicles. You will need to be on the Padron to buy a car.
earlybay

Which part of Spain are you from?: Alicante

Next