Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

spanish and UK tax

spanish and UK tax

Postby KCM » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:23 pm

Hello all

I am visiting the area this week and enjoying the lovely sunshine, I still aspire to retire here towards the end of the year or early next year (dare I say subject to Brexit ! lets leave that one for now !!)
I am enjoying the wealth of information that you share on this platform and have had a good look at some of the properties on sale and also for rent in the area.
My consideration would be to rent for the first 4-6 months to give me time to get myself and admin etc in order, I have a few questions and hopeful that you will guide me on the following

• I know that I require to get a good Lawyer to help with the NEI No etc, it has been suggested that I should use "Adminserv" based in Alicante. Has anybody used that service and if so I would welcome any feedback on there service
  • I am aware that my income coming from the UK will be subject to Tax both Uk & Spain, I know this is complex but does anybody know a rough percentage I should allow for both UK and Spain to allow me to look at my living budget ?
  • Lastly Depending on our exit, Healthcare, would I require medical Insurance ? I intend to be retired and not working, I have read that in some areas of Spain paying a sum of approx. 60euros per month per person will provide you with basic cover, is this available in the Quesada area ?

I am heading out to Quesada tonight for a meal to savour the delight of the food and nice atmosphere and look forward to any response that may help me clear my thoughts

cheers all KCM
KCM

Re: spanish and UK tax

Postby marcliff » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:40 pm

Null
Last edited by marcliff on Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby KCM » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:18 pm

Many thanks for the time and responding, very informative and hope that nothing much changes going forward with the B word !
Being 60 I may have to consider health insurance for the 5 years to take me to the UK pensionable age may even be 66 (Will check)
I also intend to receive an annual payment from UK funds to maximise the Euro exchange rate on a larger amount, so expect that would be reflected in my tax return in Spain ?

Enjoyed my meal although obviously out of season choices were limited, good service however so every cloud!

As i progress my journey I know doubt will be back on the forum, many thanks again for a very helpful response

KCM :text-thankyouyellow:
KCM

Postby elchedave » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:42 pm

At 60 years of age, your UK state pension age will be 66 at the earliest (i'm 62 & my state pension age is 66) yours may even be 67.
Sorry for the bad news!!!!!
Dave.
elchedave

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby KCM » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:00 pm

You have spoiled my holiday Dave!
Only joking I thought it would be about 66/67 I’ll do my homework when I get home
Thanks again
KCM

Postby A.N.Other » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:01 pm

Sorry but it's misleading to state that health is free for all.

Yes a law apparently to that effect was introduced in July last year and independently Valencia community announced that it would be providing free care for all residents unfortunately however its far from that simple and I suggest you read Jim's guide on the subject.

https://www.costablancaforum.com/area/a ... ain-51724/

All subject to what happens after March 29th of course!
A.N.Other

Which part of Spain are you from?: Almoradi

Postby marcliff » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:46 pm

A.N.Other wrote:Sorry but it's misleading to state that health is free for all.

Yes a law apparently to that effect was introduced in July last year and independently Valencia community announced that it would be providing free care for all residents unfortunately however its far from that simple and I suggest you read Jim's guide on the subject.

https://www.costablancaforum.com/area/a ... ain-51724/

All subject to what happens after March 29th of course!

I think some of that is out of date. The convenio especial, in particular, is being phased out. It has already been scrapped in Andalusia and is due to cease here in March.
Those in Andalusia who were previously on the convenio especial have had their payments returned from the date of the Royal decree and have been given free healthcare in that province according the CAB Malaga.
When this area gets around to it (the Royal decree said it would come into force at the end of the month the decree was issued ie July 2018) there is no reason to think it won't apply here as well.
marcliff

Postby Paul58 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:43 pm

marcliff wrote:.......The tax allowances in Spain are not as generous as UK so be prepared to pay a higher amount although there is not a great deal of difference.
The current basic allowance is €5550 and €6650 if you are over 65. There is also a spouse allowance of €3400 plus other allowances for dependant family member etc.
Tax is at 19% for up to €6000 over the allowance, up to €50,000 over the allowance the rate is 21% and over €50,000 is 23%.
You will also have to pay tax on bank interest.........

" although there is not a great deal of difference."

Really! ....The current personal tax allowances in the UK amounts to £12,500 for each individual tax payer, so a total of £25,000 tax free per independent couple. Then you need to add the tax free savings of £20,000 each per year, into a UK ISA (stocks & shares or cash)...... Don't forget your individual, now diminished, tax free £2000 dividends allowance and your individual tax free savings allowance of £1000 each.

So, in the UK you can have income of up to £15,500 each, or £31,000 per independent couple, plus any ISA income, without paying a penny in income tax..... I'm sorry but I see a great deal of difference!
Paul58

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby marcliff » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:24 pm

Sorry, I'd forgotten to factor in the ex-MEPs, lawyers, CEOs etc that retire to this area on a fortune.
I will quality "you won't see much difference" with "If you are retiring on an average retirement income you won't see much difference".
My NHS and OAP plus bank interest I receive attract no tax here as it is in within the allowances.
I do, however, pay rather a lot on my government pension in UK which is about the same.
Maybe the people who complete my tax returns know what allowances I am entitled to.

Any chance of a loan until payday?

(Sorry if that sounded facetious. It's late and I'm tired. Maybe you could reply to the OP)
marcliff

Postby KCM » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:32 am

Good morning all,
Interesting publication by Jim and certainly provides a great insight into all aspect of moving to Spain.
apologies if I have Caused an issue by requesting clarification on Tax and note all the points made.
UK while generous have ways of taxing you back at the other end, and while being from Scotland our personal taxation is now higher than the rest of the UK, not mention extra tax on wines and spirits. More recently they are looking to implement a tax on parking the car at the workplace, this will be enforced by the employer and could be up to £500 / year
Politics and Taxation best left for another day

thank you all for the input :text-thankyouyellow:
KCM

Next