Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Passport renewal

Passport renewal

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:49 pm

Need advice on renewing passports. My parents passports run out on Dec 11th. They are going on a cruise beginning of June for 2 weeks around the Med. It's now saying in the papers you need 6 months on your passport otherwise you may be denied entry. Where is the best place to get passports renewed please. If we need to.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Re: Passport renewal

Postby richardlionheart » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:04 pm

richardlionheart

Location: not cold grey expensive police state UK, thank god.

Postby Babu » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:19 pm

richardlionheart wrote:https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/8259933/brexit-passport-renew-warning-uk-deadline-today/

too late it seems

More misinformation . . . todays deadline was regarding if you were travelling on 1st April as it was based on the minimum expected time to get a new passport delivered if you applied now to get it by 31st March.

As you will be limited to 3 Months maximum continuous stay (as a non EU citizen) and need 3 Months left on Passport at time of going home, in theory you need 6 Months on your passport when entering the EU. If your passport was one where remaining months left when you last renewed were added to your 10 years, say 9 Months added to the 10 years, those extra Months will not count on what remains anymore, hence the mentioned up to 15 Months in the link. . . .

Don't go by expiry date on Passport, go by 10 years added to issue date as that is what EU immigration will go by . . . BUT we haven't left yet!!
Last edited by Babu on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Babu

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Raso

Postby Terry the gardener » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:22 pm

did ours on line 3 weeks from start to delivery to door..very easy to do .
Terry the gardener

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby Shiva » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:24 pm

Am assuming they are currently in Spain so you want to renew from Spain so that they have no problem travelling in June. The postroom in Benijofar does a passport renewal service, as does the post/ card shop near the Arches. No idea why the previous poster said it was "too late" !!! The post room people will give you an idea of how long it takes . I think you can do it all online yourself if you want but using one of the post room services would make it easier etc.
Shiva

Postby PeteKnight » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:53 pm

The first thing is that it doesn’t matter (veey much) when your parent’s passports run out.what matters is when they were issued.
Previously, the U.K. passport office would allow you to renew your passport upto 6 months early, whilst still keeping the renewal anniversary date, so you could end-up with a passport that was valid for 10 years and 6 months.
If the EU adopts the Shenzhen rules on passports, then no passport can be valid for more than 10 years. This means that the passport will cease to be valid 10 years from the date of issue, which may not be the same as the expiry date printed in the passport - by upto 6 months.

My passport was due to expire in October this year, but it was issued in May 2009, so would have cease to be valid in May, not October. As you’ll be required to have 6 month’s validity at the date of entry, I wouldn’t be able to use my passport after December last year - except of course that those rules didn’t apply then (and don’t apply now - yet).

We went to Thailand at Christmas, so after we returned I decided to renew my passport (from the UK). I did the application online on a weekend, then posted my passport to the passport agency on the Monday. My new passport arrived the following Monday.

The passport agency currently says to allow a 3 week turnaround, but this is obviously a worse case scenario.

If your parents go to the UK at any point soon then they could always go to the passport office in London or Peterborough and get the new passport the same day. I did this 10 years ago, and although it costs a bit more it’s handy if you need to travel urgently and don’t have the necessary time left on your passport to meet the requirements of the country you’re visiting.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby camionpilot » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:07 pm

Walk in service has been discontinued in the UK offices , its by appointment only ..!
camionpilot

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:16 pm

Thank you all you lovely people for taking the time to reply and explain. Think its best to renew from here. It's been worrying me not knowing quite what to do. I know we've not left yet but the longer it goes on times running out. Thank you once again, Chris
Chrisdee

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:59 pm

Terry the Gardner did you have it delivered to Spain?
Chrisdee

Postby Terry the gardener » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:41 am

yes.. came on a sunday recorded (DHL)delivery..and old one came back the next day ..had text sent to phone to say they had received old passport and texts to say the progress of our applications and to say when they had sent new one ..very easy to do on line ..you take your own picture and submit it and if there is a problem with the picture they will tell you and you send another..they resize it so no need for trying to get a perfect head shot ..both passports (mine and husband's )came on same day...
Terry the gardener

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Next