Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Postby KCM » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:08 am

Good Morning All

I have recently returned home after a pleasant visit to La Mata and surrounding areas
the forum has been very helpful in helping me get a lot of great information to help with hopefully a move to the area over the coming 6-12 months.
as I am below retirement age and looking for early retirement to the sun, the main stumbling block that I have came against is private medical insurance ! I have received a few quotes and they vary considerably from affordable and non affordable, my question is that all the information that I can get suggests I only require Medical Health cover for the 1st year to run in conjunction with my 1st year residence visa ?

does this suggest that after the first year I would then qualify for the Spanish health care system ? or would I require to continue with private medical care until I reach retirement age ? this would require 6-7 years of cover ?

I understand general elections are due next month and subject to the outcome I know things may change, but I would welcome any guidance or comments that could help me clarify this part of the process

Thanks

Kcm
KCM

Re: Health Insurance

Postby Roach » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:43 am

As it stands, you will need private medical insurance in order to obtain residency status. You will continue to need this insurance for the future years. The only way your entitled to public healthcare in Spain is if you have worked/work here and paid into the system.

I found that granalacantinsurances.com insurance was the most affordable for private healthcare but everybody's needs differ. Worth giving them a shout.
Roach

Which part of Spain are you from?: San Miguel

Postby KCM » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:35 am

Hi Roach

Thanks for the quick response I will make contact with them and see what they come back with
Best regards

Kcm
KCM

Postby Top Cat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:59 pm

KCM as you are under pensionable age you will have to obtain PHI for one year before you can apply for Convenio Especial which costs €60 a month (DD through bank) before retirement age when I understand it goes up to €165? per month. Valencia region have not introduced Universal Healthcare (free to everybody) yet as per the recent Royal Decree. Check out the CAB Spain Facebook site for extensive info on this. Some regions in Spain have but not all. I got the CE one year post Residencia in Alicante (Government Health Dept offices) with no problems. Fingers crossed they will have the UH in place soon here or at least in the next three years.
Top Cat

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar del Segura

Postby marcliff » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:18 pm

You have to be a resident for a year before you can access the Convenio Especial so will need private health insurance until then. It should be phased out in the Valencia region from the end of April but there will be a general election then so it's a wait and see situation.
The convenio especial was stopped at the end of August in some regions.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby swcoulthurst » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:18 am

We have just done the same. Got residencia in December. Private healthcare with ASSA. We were told that we need healthcare for 12 months. When we pay our tax next year as residents (previously as non resident) after submitting our tax return we will then be entitled to Spanish health care.
swcoulthurst

Which part of Spain are you from?: Mutxamel