Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

residencia

Re: residencia

Postby polop » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:53 pm

Hi can anyone help with this regarding been made resident, my wife who was born and bred in God's county (Yorkshire) in case some don't know LOL. Is hoping to relocate to Spain fairly soon she has lived and worked in Southern Ireland for over 30 years and has retained her UK passport although she has paid taxes and national insurance in Ireland will for residence purpose these be taken in to account or will she be same as all other UK passport holders and have to wait to see what Brexit brings, I should point out I hold duel citizenship Irish/UK, and retired Will this help her. Thank you
polop

Which part of Spain are you from?: La finca

Postby marcliff » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:20 pm

Can't she get an Irish passport on the strength of yours?
Pretty sure it would be much easier.
(dual citizenship).
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Shiva » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:01 pm

1. If your wife is still living in Southern Ireland she is likely to be able to apply for Irish citizenship. Would need to prove she has lived there for more than past 5 years and intends to continue her ties to Ireland. If you are BOTH living there together the time period would be cut to 3 years because she is married to an Irish citizen. Obviously her obtaining Irish citizenship would make life much easier for travelling around Europe and moving to another European country such as Spain in the future. Both the UK and Ireland are fine re dual citizenship so she would not have to renounce her British citizenship but could hold two passports.
2.If that is not a preferred option for her, assuming you are BOTH moving to Spain, and you hold Irish citizenship, you will be treated as an EU citizen and she can become resident as the spouse of an EU citizen. Slight different paperwork but she would still be treated more favourably than a UK person on their own will be ( the latter likely to have to be treated as Third country national, gave to prove much greater financial resources etc.)
Shiva

Postby Shiva » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:07 pm

Oh and if perchance you are currently living in Northern Ireland, that should count for her residence qualification period for Irish citizenship as well as the rules state residence in 'the island of Ireland'. Worth looking into!
Shiva

Postby polop » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Thanks to all for replies.
polop

Postby Shiva » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:27 pm

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/m ... riage.html. This is the link with info, on checking it the residency requirements are a bit less onerous than I thought. You need to say you plan to continue living in Ireland, but then you probably do ( with the option of moving elsewhere down the line...).
Shiva

Postby Richard.H » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:37 am

If you have an Irish passport then your wife qualifies for one too , so you will both still be eu citizens whatever the retards in parliament do.
Richard.H

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Shiva » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:19 am

Richard.H wrote:If you have an Irish passport then your wife qualifies for one too , so you will both still be eu citizens whatever the retards in parliament do.

Sorry but that is not correct. ( Would that it were so easy) . There is a residence qualification for people seeking to naturalise though marriage. See the link in my previous post.
Shiva

Postby polop » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:15 am

Shiva wrote:
Richard.H wrote:If you have an Irish passport then your wife qualifies for one too , so you will both still be eu citizens whatever the retards in parliament do.

Sorry but that is not correct. ( Would that it were so easy) . There is a residence qualification for people seeking to naturalise though marriage. See the link in my previous post.

Thanks for everything and link, yes my wife is entitled to Irish passport but the cost now is €1200, just wondered if her paying taxes in Ireland she would qualify for benefit in Spain no matter what passport.... Thank you to all
polop

Previous