Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

residencia

residencia

Postby cheflady » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Hi can any one help please? Not long got residential but no read in Euro Weekly that after the grace period of Brexit we will need to apply and get a TIE number. Has anybody have anymore info please and if so what and where do we need to go? Many thanks Jules
cheflady

Re: residencia

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:35 pm

Is it not the NIE?
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby cheflady » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:58 pm

Hiya chrisdee no it's not I thought that at first but as you know we need NIE before we can do anything! What I've read is if you already got residential after grace period of Brexit we will still need to apply for the TIE must admit I haven't a clue and I saw it on a lawyers page in today's EuroWeekly newspaper maybe say no more!!
cheflady

Postby Shiva » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi Chef lady I understand this will apply after Brexit, as the UK becomes a third country and hence UK citizens will need to change their small green residency card for a foreigners identity card, Tarjeta de Identidad de Entranjera( TIE) the same as other non EU nationals have to get ( it's a photo identity card) . However nobody knows yet what the process will be so there is nothing you can do right now ( and in any event UK hasn't left the EU yet...) My understanding from the discussion around the recent Royal Decree that some people eg ones who have been here more than 5 years and who already have 'permanent' residency will get this easily or more or less 'automatically' ( though even then presumably there will be some kind of application process); others who have got their green card more recently will be told what process is required. It is supposed to be that it should be relatively simple, though what that means in practice is anyone's guess. Might be another round of National Police Station appointments...

Overall though nothing to worry about for people already got the residency, just another layer of bureaucracy. The Spanish authorities have made many positive noises about looking after everyone who is registered as resident before the Brexit date. For people who haven't already got residency and are moving to Spain after Brexit I assume they will have to apply direct under new procedures for the TIE ( the green card thing becomes redundant) and the bigger concern for them may be if the current standard third country rules will apply to them ( these are much more stringent, including in terms of financial requirements) than for EU citizens.

But you don't need to worry as you already have your green Eu residency card, just wait for when they announce the new procedures. There'll be a lot of people needing to go through the process.
Shiva

Postby marcliff » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:11 pm

The TIE is a Tarjeta de Identificacion Extranjera, a foreigner's ID card.
This is the identity card that non-EU citizens have to have. The residency we currently hold is a foreign EU citizen resident in Spain and we won't be after the transition period.

We will then have to go through the same procedures as someone from outside the EU and the Spanish government has already said that, for those who hold residency before the Brexit date (whenever that is) will be virtually automatically transferred across to the new register. They have even said they will employ extra people to ensure these new ID cards are issued and they won't cost any more than a Spanish citizen pays for the Spanish ID card.
The TIE will have your NIE, a photograph and your fingerprint on it.

(Looks like I repeated what Shiva said at the same time).
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:32 pm

Ahhh I see I knew we would have to apply for the foreigners card didn't realise the TIE stood for Tarjeta de Identidad de Entranjera, thank goodness for that, thought it was something else added to the list.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby cheflady » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:20 pm

Thank you so much all of you Marcliff Shiva you've put our minds at rest Cheers Jules
cheflady

Postby Pete31 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:39 pm

we applied for residency but a little to late as they have stopped doing them ref Brexit so seems like we wont get it. Pete.
Pete31

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entra Naranjos

Postby Tizzy74 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:05 pm

Hi all
We got the NIE 14 years ago, travelling to Spain on our holiday each year. We don't have the green residents card that has been mentioned, when were they issued please? And will we still be transferred to the new register? If anyone knows I would appreciate if you could advise us.
Tizzy74

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby marcliff » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:17 pm

You wouldn't have a green residents card if you only come over on holiday. You can be a non tax paying resident if you spend more than three months but less than 6 months a year here. You become a tax paying resident if you spend more than 6 months every year in Spain.
The NIE has nothing to do with residency and you will not be transferred to the new register automatically as you are not on the original register.
If you only holiday here then there is no reason to seek residency in Spain.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Next