Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Do you have reflux? or Barrett's?

Re: Do you have reflux? or Barrett's?

Postby cheflady » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:55 am

Hope you continue to improve Martin. Good luck Jules
cheflady

Postby maria elena » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:26 pm

Martin, I also have Barrett’s. However I no longer have heartburn because I had an operation to repair my hiatus hernia. It was done by keyhole surgery (NHS) and I was only in hospital for one night. The operation was called a Fundoplication. It might be worth your while to ask your doctor if they do it in Spain too?
maria elena

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby Carolg » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:53 pm

My husband suffered with reflux and has a hiatus hernia. Was on emeprazole and ranatidine. I started him on turmeric capsules and no longer uses the medication. Just had to have the occasional swig of gaviscon.
Carolg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby GrahamR » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:28 pm

I really appreciate the comments on here. After around a year of having a gastric problem recurring more and more often I had an endoscopy month ago and have a Hiatus Hernia and Barrett’s Mucosa so will have to have another Endoscopy in 3 years. The doctor who performed the endoscopy also referred me for a gallbladder scan as he said the pains I get could also be associated with that.
Certainly, I am happier to know what is wrong and how to treat it. I have been on Lansoprazole for years after once having duodenitis.
With me, it normally starts with a pain in the upper back and then moving to my chest. I take Gaviscon and also drink some sparkling water. Normally within about 30 mins or so when the pain seems to fill my whole upper body, it just subsided very quickly and I get some acid in my throat.
I lost a lot of weight because I stopped eating potatoes, chocolate, ice cream and only have small portions. Now I know what the problem is and how to deal with it, I am eating a bit more now and having the odd potato etc.
It has changed my life to some extent because going out for nice meals is something I now approach with caution. Unfortunately, I do get stressed and I don’t think that helps when my back muscles tighten.
I am very lucky as there are a lot of people out there much worse off, but when I am back in the IK next week and see my doctor with the gallstone results, I will find out if surgical intervention might be an option.
I will check out the website recommended as I feel learning more about it and discussing it with fellow sufferers is a great help. Thanks!
GrahamR

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby brianq » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:01 pm

On the facebook group, 'Barrett's Esophagus Awareness', I've seen people say things like Barretts actually is a safeguard to save you from cancer! But I don't know what they mean.
You may want to join the FB group perhaps.

If you're over from 28th May, I guess the caves market would be 2nd June - i.e. 1st Sunday of June
Might see you then![/quote]

Thanks for that Martin. I'll have a look at the Facebook group & maybe see you on 2nd June, probably early afternoon as we join a walking group on Sunday mornings.

Sorry for late reply.
brianq

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Salado 1

Postby Martin the artist » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:09 pm

OK, but the market clears up around 2pm
Martin the artist

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Previous

Return to Quesada general discussion