Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

What is the process of buying a car privately?

What is the process of buying a car privately?

Postby PGA » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:30 pm

Has anyone here bought a vehicle privately and, if so, can you give a brief idea of the process. Is a gestor recommended? If so, any local recommendations?
PGA

Re: What is the process of buying a car privately?

Postby richardlionheart » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:06 pm

you need somone to do the paperwork, you need the log book and the ITV cert (MoT) and ID, and it all needs to be send ot fto Traffico. Takes about 3 weeks for the log book to come back with your name on.

Best to use somone who knows how to do it, weve bought two cars here so far through Frankie and Steph at FP Translations (0034) 671390084

The transfer fee is eye watering ,incuding Frankies fee it cost us about £130 each time, its not like the UK where you can just switch ownership online for free.
richardlionheart

Location: not cold grey expensive police state UK, thank god.

Postby sunworshipper » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:09 pm

We have bought a car privately and it is an easy process if you see Matt at One Way Services in Quesada.
You will need some documentation from the seller but Matt can advise and he is the cheapest.
Happy in the sun.
sunworshipper

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Shiva » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:21 pm

I bought a car privately and basically arranged with a girl called Paula who deals regularly with trafico to take documents etc to get changed. She needed all the car log book etc plus my escritura to show address and NIE and passport ( this was as a non- resident). It was straightforward and as far as I remember didn't cost an an awful lot.Indeed I remember being surprised it was not more , possibly because Paula's fees were very reasonable. That included having the status of the car changed ( it was an ex-hire car) to a private vehicle. The main thing is getting someone to do the trafico stuff for you. I also needed the escritura details of the sellers but that might have been because it was a hire car... . So not that hard to do.
Shiva

Postby Big Wheeler » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:34 pm

If you have confidence and patience you can do this yourself.
Remember to make sure the suma has been paid before you buy.You will be responsible for all back tax unpaid by the previous owner.
Big Wheeler

Which part of Spain are you from?: Algorfa

Postby PGA » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:00 am

Thanks all for your comments. Will use one of these suggested at least for the first time around.
PGA

Postby Shiva » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:07 pm

PGA wrote:Thanks all for your comments. Will use one of these suggested at least for the first time around.

another possibility if you want a further option for people to sort the paperwork for you is that the Torrievieja Translators folk may do it as they are affiliated with Trafico . The affiliation might only cover driving licence exchange, but perhaps the trafico affiliation may now mean they do the car documentations as well., as they clearly have a good relationship with trafico. This is their website - Sebastian is very good and would reply to any email promptly telling you if they do it or not.
https://torreviejatranslators.com/driving-licence-exchanges/
Shiva