Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Which Market .....

Which Market .....

Postby Gandy1976 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:10 am

Should ee visit first ?? Zocco or Lemon Tree .......
Gandy1976

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Re: Which Market .....

Postby marcliff » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:41 am

Lemon Tree is very big and has lots of stalls whilst Zoco market is smaller.
Lemon Tree can get very oppressive, can be a nightmare to park and the ground is very uneven in places which can be bad for those with walking canes etc. On the other hand it has a great mix of Spanish and English stalls with loads to choose from.

El Zoco is easy to park, is completely paved so walking is fine, has a lot of the "streets" shaded from the sun (a boon in the Summer) but not so many stalls to choose from. Saying that, it has a lot of what you would normally want from the fruit and veg, bedding stalls, clothing and all the normal tat the markets sell.

We prefer Zoco because my wife uses a walking stick and Lemon Tree is too hectic and uneven for her to actually enjoy the experience.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Babu » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:32 am

marcliff wrote:Lemon Tree is very big and has lots of stalls whilst Zoco market is smaller.
Lemon Tree can get very oppressive, can be a nightmare to park and the ground is very uneven in places which can be bad for those with walking canes etc. On the other hand it has a great mix of Spanish and English stalls with loads to choose from.

El Zoco is easy to park, is completely paved so walking is fine, has a lot of the "streets" shaded from the sun (a boon in the Summer) but not so many stalls to choose from. Saying that, it has a lot of what you would normally want from the fruit and veg, bedding stalls, clothing and all the normal tat the markets sell.

We prefer Zoco because my wife uses a walking stick and Lemon Tree is too hectic and uneven for her to actually enjoy the experience.

I would just add that Lemontree has a lot more bargain basement fruit & veg stalls whereas Zocco ones are more "refined" for want of a better word and priced accordingly . .
Babu

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Raso

Postby Suetag » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:15 am

Either one both sell the same stuff some good and some rubbish.
Suetag

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Bomber 69 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:52 pm

Have been here 3 years alway wanted to go to Lemon Tree Market..... Well all I can say is went once ..... Never again ... Nightmare parking and far too busy. Hope this helps
Bomber 69

Postby Paul Stotesbury » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:14 pm

Zoco every time!!!
Paul Stotesbury

Postby Gandy1976 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:37 pm

Yes thanks all ... i personally preferred lemon tree (as i love bargain hunting) my missus prefered Zocco ....
Gandy1976

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby GrahamR » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:23 pm

I also think Zoco is a better market, but the longer we have had our holiday house in Quesada the less we go. I find that if I need shorts and T shirts I get better quality for not much more from Decathlon in Zenia Boulevard. My wife also buys clothes in the shops at Zenia.
Sometimes we go to the Thursday market at Rojales. We park by the canal and then walk for ten minutes to the market. We normally buy a spit roast chicken and some fruit and veg, and I buy belts there. We then stop for a coffee in one of the bars near the canal.
If you are looking for shoes, then a good place to go are the shoe outlets at Torrelano near Alicante airport. You can buy fairly cheap shoes from Mustang or high end footwear from Pikolinos and Panama Jack and slippers from Nordica. For a change it is a good morning or afternoon trip.
GrahamR

Postby BERYLLFC » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:53 pm

Zocco as lemon tree very big and confusing no straight lines you end up going down isles you have already been down
BERYLLFC

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby marcliff » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:25 pm

Spanish lesson for the day.
El Zoco (the souk - Arabic for market)

There are no double letters in Spanish except for ones called particulares.
RR - classed as a letter in itself and you really have to roll both r's as in Perrrrro (for dog). Great word for practice is ferrocarril (railway or railroad) and pronounced ferrrrrrocarrrril.
LL - again classed as a letter in itself. Pronounce y as in bocadillo (bocadiyo) literally a big mouth full and is a bread roll or snack.
CC - only when followed by i or e. And pronounced as two separate letters ks. As in leccion (leksion) seleccion (seleksion) accesible (aksesible) and so on.
So it's simply El Zoco.

The only other time you will see double letters are to point out abbreviations such as EE UU (Estado Unidos - United States) and so on.
marcliff

Next