Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Cost of living, family of 4

Cost of living, family of 4

Postby Jesst » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi all.

Very new to the forum and still at the very early stages of looking into a possible move from miserable England.

I know this question will depends on a million and one variables but I want to get a general idea.

We are a family of 4, our children are 4 & 6. On 'average' how much would you expect to pay per month on food, bills, basic living costs etc.

Like I said I know this is a very variable figure but it's just to get an idea of what route to go down with work.

Thankyou!
Jesst

Which part of Spain are you from?: Nowhere yet!

Re: Cost of living, family of 4

Postby Jan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:03 pm

Jesst wrote:Hi all.

Very new to the forum and still at the very early stages of looking into a possible move from miserable England.

I know this question will depends on a million and one variables but I want to get a general idea.

We are a family of 4, our children are 4 & 6. On 'average' how much would you expect to pay per month on food, bills, basic living costs etc.

Like I said I know this is a very variable figure but it's just to get an idea of what route to go down with work.

Thankyou!

I would say with the current exchange rate the cost of living in Spain is not far off the UK for general living costs....except Council tax and eating out is cheaper. If you buy Spanish food and use the markets for vegetables then it can work out cheaper for groceries. You can have expensive meals out but on the whole eating and drinking out is cheaper.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby richardlionheart » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:27 pm

check ur PM's
richardlionheart

Location: not cold grey expensive police state UK, thank god.

Postby earlybay » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:42 am

Two adults can live on €60 week food spend. (Basic food spend) Avoid places like Iceland for all but essential items as very expensive. Fruit and vegetables ridiculously cheap in the markets. Eating out cheaper than UK. Insurance generally the same (eg car) Obviously you don’t want to stay in the house all week, so I’d budget around €800 month for small family. Our least expenditure is food, its all the other things you buy for your house that add up !
earlybay

Which part of Spain are you from?: Alicante

Postby Jesst » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:01 am

Jan wrote:
Jesst wrote:Hi all.

Thankyou!

I would say with the current exchange rate the cost of living in Spain is not far off the UK for general living costs....except Council tax and eating out is cheaper. If you buy Spanish food and use the markets for vegetables then it can work out cheaper for groceries. You can have expensive meals out but on the whole eating and drinking out is cheaper.

Thanks Jan. I'm trying to get an idea if just one full time wage is doable for the first year or so whilst my husband sets up his own business on the side. It's so hard to figure it all out!!
Jesst

Postby Jesst » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:06 am

earlybay wrote:Two adults can live on €60 week food spend. (Basic food spend) Avoid places like Iceland for all but essential items as very expensive. Fruit and vegetables ridiculously cheap in the markets. Eating out cheaper than UK. Insurance generally the same (eg car) Obviously you don’t want to stay in the house all week, so I’d budget around €800 month for small family. Our least expenditure is food, its all the other things you buy for your house that add up !

Better than I thought! Positive to hear. Thank you!
Jesst

Postby Ronnie112 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:12 am

earlybay wrote:Two adults can live on €60 week food spend. (Basic food spend) Avoid places like Iceland for all but essential items as very expensive. Fruit and vegetables ridiculously cheap in the markets. Eating out cheaper than UK. Insurance generally the same (eg car) Obviously you don’t want to stay in the house all week, so I’d budget around €800 month for small family. Our least expenditure is food, its all the other things you buy for your house that add up !

€60 a week for two adults you must be eating bean on toast every dat :text-lol:
Ronnie112

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby Wabryce » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:18 am

I found Lidl and Alde fruit and veg to be as cheap as market stalls
Wabryce

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby Janjan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:00 pm

If you buy British Brand goods in Spain your bills will be much higher. Try Spanish fare. They don't have offers like British Shops and you will soon find you like some,things in one and some in another. Fruit and veg in season are so cheap and much tastier than in U.K. Meat has more flavour as well.
You need to find out about schools as well before you move.
Don't think It is hot and sunny all the time. In winter it's back to Duvets, Dressing Gowns and Slippers. A Fleece is mostly warm enough for outdoor use in Winter. The Markets have plenty of clothes stalls and are popular.
Janjan

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada area

Postby Chrisdee » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:10 pm

60 euros a week!! What kind of meals do you have for that?

Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Next