Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Advice please

Advice please

Postby Lollypop28 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:14 am

Hi
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the pay at the pump machine and the separate red pay machine at the petrol stations. Only I paid with my bank card at the pump machine and then noticed other people using the separate red pay machine. Wasn't sure why they didn't use the machine at their pump. Silly question but I'm confused. Thanks
Lollypop28

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Advice please

Postby Titch » Sun May 05, 2019 8:18 am

Our petrol station you pay by card at pump, and cash at separate pay machine.
Titch

Postby Lollypop28 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:34 am

Oh thank you
Lollypop28

Postby PeteKnight » Sun May 05, 2019 10:12 am

Different petrol stations work in different ways, but many of the "pay at the pump" machines that require you to insert your card and PIN before pumping fuel will charge 100 euros to your card before activating the pump.
They then charge the cost of the fuel in addition to the 100 euro that they've already taken, then you get your 100 euros refunded after a few days.

Depending whether you're using a UK card and what the foreign transaction fees are, this 100 euro transaction could cost you quite a bit in card fees as you may lose-out on charges and exchange rate costs for both the debit and the credit transactions. If the exchange rate has changed in the meantime then you can loose that way as well.

I tend to pay cash to avoid these charges. Most petrol stations require you to pay up front in cash, so you go up to the window, tell them your pump number, hand-over 50 or 60 euros and tell them that you want to fill your tank. You then go back to the pump, fill the car and return to the window to either collect your change or pay the balance.
It sounds cumbersome, but it's actually not much slower than the pay by card process on most pumps.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Lollypop28 » Sun May 05, 2019 10:36 am

Thank you very much.
Lollypop28

Postby Jan » Sun May 05, 2019 2:08 pm

The last time we used the petrol station behind consum we just filled up and then drove to the window on way out and paid the cash. It was a while back so may have changed.

PS Consum in Dona Pepa.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby Lollypop28 » Sun May 05, 2019 2:16 pm

Hi this was the petrol station near Consume in Benijofer where you can jet wash your car. Only machines to pay here. No one present to take payment. Thank you.
Lollypop28

Postby rfh40 » Mon May 06, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi all,

Only ever use the BP station in Rojales when local it is a friendly attended service.Quick efficient and competitive prices plus it’s keeping a few locals in a job. Only ever pay cash, previous comments correct about credit cards being debited min €100 and straight away and not always a quick refund either, if fact a few freinds have had terrible troubles getting due refund, so when ever driving down through France/Spain pay cash and save the hassle.

Have a good day all :-)
rfh40

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benijofar

Postby Black » Mon May 06, 2019 7:20 pm

I usually fill up at the Gasexpress near the golf course. They don't take a deposit. I just prepay €50 at the pump but never take that much to fill. The only amount charged is the amount used. Interestingly, although it is not that big or busy there is often an attendant on hand.
Black

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby richardlionheart » Mon May 06, 2019 7:44 pm

Like a lot of things in Spain, you have to think "Now howe did we used to have to do it in the Uk back in the 1970's" to remember how to do it here.....
richardlionheart

Location: not cold grey expensive police state UK, thank god.

Next