Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Gluten free

Gluten free

Postby Gaynord » Sun May 05, 2019 7:52 am

Hello there thank you for having me. I hope this is alright to post, I have 3 children one of which is coeliac, and we have just booked our first villa holiday in what looks like an amazing place cuidad Quesada so would just like recommendation on where we can take him to eat and the supermarkets etc. Thank you x
Gaynord

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Gluten free

Postby mondo » Sun May 05, 2019 8:02 am

Loads of restaurants serve gluten free meals... but just tell them when you order... not all meals will be gluten free but there will be a decent alternative... .but of course, chicken, steak, lamb, pork are all gluten free as are most vegetables and potatoes... Deserts can be a bit of a problem though as few will have GF cakes and pies but ice cream should be okay and fresh fruit is usually available..just make sure when you order, and double check when it is served..

Supermarkets all carry gluten free foods, but they do tend to hide them among the ordinary food. We like Consum for their gluten free bread, flour and biscuits. Carrefour also have gluten free cakes. cookies, rice cakes and crispbreads. Mercadonna also have gluten free stuff so you should be okay here..

Enjoy and don´t worry... :D
mondo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Gaynord » Sun May 05, 2019 8:12 am

Thank you very much for the reply. He’s also autistic so he tends to stick to certain foods, but heard great things about Spain. We will be also wanting to take him to McDonald’s or Burger King for a treat when we are there too.
Gaynord

Postby mondo » Sun May 05, 2019 8:27 am

Gaynord wrote:Thank you very much for the reply. He’s also autistic so he tends to stick to certain foods, but heard great things about Spain. We will be also wanting to take him to McDonald’s or Burger King for a treat when we are there too.

Not sure about McDonald´s .. but watch out for the dreaded breadcrumbs, they get everywhere...sometimes they use them as fillers.. for sausages and burgers and stuff.....and they sometimes cook breaded chicken in the same oil as chips..

As you have a ceoliac child I am sure you know what you are doing... most bars and restaurants will want you to go back again and again so they will help if they can.

but just check, check and check again...there could always be a miscommunication between waiter and chef..we are all human.. (well some of us are..not sure about American Presidents,.. )
mondo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Sunnytomorrow » Sun May 05, 2019 2:46 pm

Oscars in the centre of Quesada. One of the owners is coeliac so they are very mindful of this if you mention it.
P.S the food is great to !!
Sunnytomorrow

Postby Gaynord » Sun May 05, 2019 3:42 pm

Brilliant thank hour very much for the reply x
Gaynord

Postby Sasta » Sun May 05, 2019 10:35 pm

I went to the Olive Tree and they were really clued up on their menu and adapted the recipe of the item I wanted to exclude the Gluten.... that's how fresh it is in there. they wouldn't let me have the meringue as it had flour but assured me that they will be making their own without it in future.
Sasta

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby Madcatwoman » Mon May 06, 2019 12:08 am

Try La Brisa at the top end of the main street in Quesada. Most of their menu is gluten free but if you pop in a day or two beforehand and speak to them about any special diet they will accomodate you gladly. Lisa and Brian are excellent hosts who give that personal touch.
Madcatwoman

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Siesta

Postby brandyboy » Mon May 06, 2019 6:27 am

There is an abundance of Gluten free products in the supermarkets here.
brandyboy

Postby margo » Mon May 06, 2019 7:07 am

Hi gaynord

As others have said gf not really a problem. Lizaran in Dona Pepa very good (tapas style) particularly lunch time. Mercadona gf bread best I have ever had. I downloaded spanish translation food travel card from coeliac uk but only needed to use it a couple of times. It was reasuring to have though. Enjoy rhe visit.
margo

Next