Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Asthma Problem

Asthma Problem

Postby Paulthesound » Fri May 10, 2019 6:05 pm

Hi All,
I have only been living in Spain for 3 months and I am suffering quite a bit with Asthma, something which I don't have a problem with in the UK. Does anyone else have the same problem? Is it likely to be the dust or pollen or something, is there a hayfever (I don't have it)season going on? Any info would be useful before I waste a doctors time.
Many Thanks
Paulthesound

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Asthma Problem

Postby Jan » Fri May 10, 2019 6:58 pm

Paulthesound wrote:Hi All,
I have only been living in Spain for 3 months and I am suffering quite a bit with Asthma, something which I don't have a problem with in the UK. Does anyone else have the same problem? Is it likely to be the dust or pollen or something, is there a hayfever (I don't have it)season going on? Any info would be useful before I waste a doctors time.
Many Thanks

I have a "damp" allergy that affects me in unheated houses. It used to cause me more problems in my youth as we never had central heating and the house was damp (although I never knew what it was at the time - Itchy eyes and throat and tight chest) I then got it later in life in our caravan and now get it when arriving in Spain after the Winter, until the house is aired and warmed up. I never get it in our central heated house in UK or in Summer and it has nothing to do with the pollen count.

I now take prescription antihystamine when it starts and sometimes only use one or two and it clears up.

Could this be what is causing your allergy/asthma? Not being used to the damp in your home in Spain.

We stayed in a hotel in Spain in February once and I felt really bad as I forgot my tablets. It was obvious that the room had not been aired or heated until we got there.

Just an idea - But I would go to the doctor if I were you.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby Chrisdee » Fri May 10, 2019 7:02 pm

I don't know what the percentage the humidity has been but it's felt very humid these past few days, that can affect asthma
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Andrea Murphy » Fri May 10, 2019 10:46 pm

When we first came to Spain we rented a house with a mobile gas fire heater, the bottled gas did not agree with either of us and it caused Asthma, only found this out when we went on holiday and within the first day of the holiday the asthma had disappeared. Hence never used the gas fire heater again.
Andrea Murphy

Postby Bunnyrabbit » Fri May 10, 2019 10:54 pm

Chemist prescribed Reactine Cetirizina Pseudoefedrina works well for me as I suffered
itchy eyes,blocked nose, sneezing. Never suffered in the UK. It comes over the counter.
Bunnyrabbit

Postby scubydoo » Sat May 11, 2019 6:26 am

Be aware you should NOT use Reactine Cetirizina Pseudoefedrina if you are over 60 years old!
scubydoo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby scubydoo » Sat May 11, 2019 6:31 am

You can use Loratadina (Loratadine) antihistamine available over the counter and cheap.
scubydoo

Postby tinak » Sat May 11, 2019 7:52 am

Any ideas why over 60’s can’t use it ?
tinak

Which part of Spain are you from?: dona pepa

Postby scubydoo » Sat May 11, 2019 7:58 am

tinak wrote:Any ideas why over 60’s can’t use it ?

Don't know the ins and outs but it says so on the information! maybe if you google it? the chemist may not realize!
scubydoo

Postby Jan » Sat May 11, 2019 9:27 am

Best to go to doctor to get the correct medication for you. I found the prescription antihistamine worked well and the OTC antihistamine was not good enough for me.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Next