Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Santander Bank

Santander Bank

Postby glen.monks » Tue May 28, 2019 9:21 am

Saw an old friend yesterday and he was saying having a bank account with Santander means that you can use it in Spain with euros with no charges? I am with Natwest and BBVA in spain and they have moved out to Rojales from Quesada. Can anyone share their experiences to see if this would be worthwhile?
glen.monks

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesad

Re: Santander Bank

Postby PGA » Tue May 28, 2019 10:31 am

I have a Santander Zero account and its free subject to you paying in €600 PCM and having at least 2 (perhaps 3 - cannot remember) direct debits or using the card 3 times or so in each quarter.

Seems fine but the one negative was that they charge far more commission on drawing bankers drafts as against other banks - so when I bought my house I got stung with a huge fee and many hundreds of euros more than other banks.
PGA

Postby glen.monks » Tue May 28, 2019 10:47 am

PGA thanks
is that a UK or Spain account you have?
glen.monks

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesad

Postby PGA » Tue May 28, 2019 11:39 am

Spanish account.
PGA

Postby Paul58 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:59 am

glen.monks wrote:Saw an old friend yesterday and he was saying having a bank account with Santander means that you can use it in Spain with euros with no charges? I am with Natwest and BBVA in spain and they have moved out to Rojales from Quesada. Can anyone share their experiences to see if this would be worthwhile?

If you have a 123 account in the UK (or other qualifying account) you can make fee free withdrawals from any Santander ATM in mainland Spain. You get the proper bank rate as long as you opt for "no conversion" when using the ATM. We've used this for the last 4 years and it works very well.

BTW This has nothing to do with the Spanish Santander bank and they will not be able to offer any help, it only pertains to the ATM service.
Paul58

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Rodt » Tue May 28, 2019 6:08 pm

We're the same s Paul, works very well, but don't expect any help from the Spanish Santander bank.
Rodt

Which part of Spain are you from?: pueblo luceroResale

Postby daz » Tue May 28, 2019 9:03 pm

Small points to add if it helps, U.K. and Spain Santander’s completely separate company’s so don’t expect any liaison form one to the other. Also, choose your Spanish local branch of Santander for your ease of use, because also unlike the U.K., only that branch you registered with and opened an account with, can help you with account queries. Other than that, is fee free withdrawals from a Spanish Santander account, at any Santander cash machines. Additionally, maybe transfer money across via ‘transferwise’ or similar sort of company for best rate and minimal fees, compared to a U.K. bank. Just suggestions.
daz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos