Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Community formation

Community formation

Postby sawasdee » Wed May 29, 2019 1:47 pm

I live on a small new build residencial in Pueblo Bravo.
Our builder is keen for us to form a community. I know nothing about forming a community here in Spain, nor my neighbours, hence we'd appreciate any advice about community formation.
On our residencial we all have private pools (so we all maintain those ourselves), so there is no communal pool to maintain. Also there are no communal areas/grounds/plants etc that require maintaining. Possibly we have some small communal issues (lighting, postboxes, utility cabinets) but nothing major that we feel we can't manage between ourselves.
Bottom line is we are being pointed in the direction of a paid third party/community management service, which we don't really see exactly what we will be getting for our money. Is forming our own community and self-managing an acceptable option ?
Appreciate any thoughts/feedback on folks experience with communities
sawasdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Re: Community formation

Postby polop » Wed May 29, 2019 2:16 pm

I think you may find that any services or facilities that are used by all owners will require a community, as you will need public liability insurance and maintenance,it also may help if you find some owners do not help with upkeep...
But is it a legal requiment I don't know, may be worthwhile asking a independent solicitor.
polop

Which part of Spain are you from?: La finca

Postby jpeg » Wed May 29, 2019 3:16 pm

Sounds like the builder is trying to get out of maintenance of the developement
There is no Statute that says you must form a community , I would advise a visit to the town hall to see if they have adopted the urb

extract from the Horizontal Property Act

All property owners of the block form theCommunity of Property Owners(Comunidad de Propietarios). They are responsible for their individual parts and common areas of the block. They must maintain the common elements of the building. All of them participate in the expenses of the community on a pro-rata basis. Only those who buy an individual property standing on its own, will not have to join a community of property owners.
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Paulr » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:48 am

Agree with jpeg. If you form a community, you'll need to pay for administrators, you'll have a president, community rules and maintenance fees, none of which it sounds like you need. Was it made clear to you when you purchased the property that a community would be required? This could be a way of the builder getting away with doing what's required to get your local town hall to 'adopt' the development. Definitely sounds like you need to pay your town hall a visit.

We live on a small development of 70 detached villas, with private pools. We have a park with slides, etc. for the kids, a tennis court and petanque lanes - all maintained by Formentera del Segura town hall and funded via our IBI (council tax). No community.
Paulr

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera