Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Gibraltar notes

Gibraltar notes

Postby earlybay » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:53 am

Surprised to find that Gibraltar £10 notes are not legal tender in the UK. No note on the ATM’s there to warn you. These notes have the Queen’s portrait and the words “Sterling” but no bank or Post Office in UK will even change them.
Can only be used in Gib.
earlybay

Which part of Spain are you from?: Alicante

Re: Gibraltar notes

Postby sueandneil32 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:27 pm

I ended up having to send Gibraltar notes back with a relative to the Uk where they were sent to an exchange company in London. lost about £40 on the transaction of changing back to sterling.
sueandneil32

Which part of Spain are you from?: benijofar

Postby Mac3blade » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:46 am

It is the same for us in Northern Ireland. Our bank notes all have sterling clearly written on them but they are not accepted in England. We generally have to get money at the ATM before flying over. It may even be the same for Scottish bank notes. Madness.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby marcliff » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:16 am

Mac3blade wrote:It is the same for us in Northern Ireland. Our bank notes all have sterling clearly written on them but they are not accepted in England. We generally have to get money at the ATM before flying over. It may even be the same for Scottish bank notes. Madness.

Really? Whilst Scottish and N Irish banknotes are not actually legal tender in UK (they are legal currency as approved by Parliament) most places accept them although they can be queried.

Go to Cheltenham and all the N Irish banknotes will be accepted without question. I did find the odd one refused but maybe people aren't used to them so get a bit wary.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Half-full » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:16 am

marcliff wrote:most places accept them although they can be queried.

Go to Cheltenham and all the N Irish banknotes will be accepted without question. I did find the odd one refused but maybe people aren't used to them so get a bit wary.

marcliff, Mac3blade is correct.
I have never had a Northern Irish note accepted in a shop in England.
A lot of the bookmakers at Cheltenham are originally from either the North or South of Ireland. If the English bookmakers refused to accept Northern Irish notes they would loose out big-time.
Any notes they get, they can exchange with their Northern Irish colleagues in the pub that night
Half-full

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Ginger » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:00 pm

Channel Island currency not accepted in the UK.
Ginger

Which part of Spain are you from?: Cartagena, murcia

Postby Shiva » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:08 pm

Having either Scottish or NI notes when travelling in England is a complete pain. If getting cash from an ATM at the airport pre-travel, always go for the one explicitly marked as dispensing 'English notes '.Some shops, usually the very big chains, WILL accept them but in your smaller stores, or pubs, forget it. NI notes are worse than Scottish ones, harder to offload. It has always been like that, the level of ignorance in England about NI continues to amaze me, often people, don't seem to realise it is part of the UK and think you are giving them foreign currency. (This level of ignorance is undoubtedly why so much total bilge is spouted about 'the backstop' even by 'supposedly educated' people). Anyway, any bank will change them into English notes for you, which is often the path of least resistance than endless arguments. Surprised that Gibraltar notes can't be changed at a bank. Is this the same for IOM money etc ?
Shiva

Postby The Accountant » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:34 pm

Marks and Spencer will accept anything - even dollars!
The Accountant

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby richardlionheart » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:21 pm

Thats because they are fiat currency, not money. Before 1972 you could take a banknote into the Bank of England and demand its value in silver. In 1972, we 'came off the gold standard', which meant the link between bank notes and the gold and silver in the bank vault was broken. Subsequently, the government stole all the gold, which was in fact the property of the people. Just one of the ways the banks rob us.
richardlionheart

Location: not cold grey expensive police state UK, thank god.