Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Help please - loss of electricity!

Help please - loss of electricity!

Postby Sunny B » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:26 pm

My guests who are staying at our villa (Avd de las Naciones) have called this morning to report they have no electricity. I have tried all morning to speak to someone on the English speaking phone number for Iberdrola, but can’t get through to anyone. Message says ‘we can’t answer your call right now as we’re busy’; despite the recorded message saying that they’re there to help 24/7. I’ve asked the guests to check all the obvious stuff like trips etc - just wondered if it might be a power cut?! Any of you kind people out there able to offer any help or suggestions please? Is there anything in the road, I.e. meter etc that might need checking?
Sunny B

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Help please - loss of electricity!

Postby Terry the gardener » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:46 pm

If your house has been now fitted with a smart meter ..it could be that...if you can go to your meter cupboard you will see a message on the display telling you to push the redset button ..the smart meters seem to trip of for a variety of resons ..so try that first ...
Terry the gardener

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby Sunny B » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:50 pm

We don’t have a smart meter. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Sunny B

Postby PeteKnight » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:36 pm

You might well have had a smart meter fitted without you knowing it. It would be worth getting your guests to check the meter.
I assume that they’ve already tried checking all of the circuit readers in the consumer unit, including switching them all off then on again?

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Mr Bo Jangles » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:51 pm

I thought that we all had to have Smart Meters fitted in the last 12 months. It may be worth checking to see if the reset button needs pressing.
Mr Bo Jangles

Postby TonTri » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:06 pm

If you have a smart meter, you can reset it via the Iberdrola app. Handy if you're in the UK at the time.
TonTri

Postby Elpando » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:12 pm

Regardless of whether you have a smart meter or not, there should be some signs of life at the meter. This would tell you if the mains has been lost to the property or something on the consumer side of your house.
Elpando

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Crispin

Postby daz » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:05 pm

Regardless of what you think you’ve got, Just get the guests to switch all the trip switches in the mains box in side your house, to the off position, and then one by one back to the on position. At least you can rule out that option, and if it works, brill! A fuss over nothing. Got to be worth a try.
daz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Postby Sunny B » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:09 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. My property managers located the meter and it looks as if the the main fuse is burnt! I’ve tried all day to speak to an English speaking advisor but without joy (a stark reminder I must start my Spanish lessons). Why on earth do they say on their website and phone message that they’re there to help 24/7 when clearly they’re not?! My poor guests :-(
I’m praying when I ring first thing tomorrow they’ll jump on it and get it sorted ‘English Style!’. ;-)
Sunny B