Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Car hire - Airport charge on collection

Car hire - Airport charge on collection

Postby Tjay » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:59 am

An airport charge of 22 euros was charged at the airport on collection of a car in June but nothing charged for our car hire in May or any previous rentals.
Does anyone know anymore about this as I’ve noticed our rental for an upcoming car hire states it on the rental voucher now.
I had read some countries refund some of this charge but can’t find anymore info.
My apologies if this has been on a previous posting.
Thank you
Tjay

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Marquesa

Re: Car hire - Airport charge on collection

Postby PGA » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:07 pm

Additional charges seem like a total lottery. I have given up trying to get to the bottom of them if they are <€30 or so as frankly I can't be bothered.

I use doyouspain as a broker and every time different charges seem to apply to different companies. Current car is with OK and in addition to the standard fuel "holding monies" which is fairly standard, I got charged a non-refundable re-fueling fee. When I asked what it was for they said they had to charge that on top but couldn't explain why.

Thankfully car hire is cheap enough here and whilst car purchase prices remain high its still good value, but the hidden costs do pee me off as when you are comparing the brokers prices you are comparing apples and oranges unless you know what the overall costs shall be.
PGA

Postby PGA » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:14 pm

Just had a google and cannot see anything regarding an airport charge - are you sure its not one of these "refuelling fees"? Haven't actually checked my account tos ee the cost but says between €23 - €29 hidden within the doyouspain contract.... :roll:
PGA

Postby Tjay » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:37 pm

Yes it definitely states under the wording - other:
Please note airport surcharge applies to booking.
8% of rental price + any extras + the price of the tank of fuel.

Though not a huge sum to pay, the airport surcharge would work out higher than the cost of hiring the car as we’ve always got a good deal through firefly.
Tjay

Postby PGA » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:08 pm

Just had another google at Firefly's T&Cs and came across this. If you have reserved, it seems the 8% is usually already within the fee paid but if a spot hire from the counter then charged on top. Was that the difference between your May and June rentals? Sounds like you pay it either way but its whether its wrapped into the fee or shown as a surcharge.

Either way though, if its applied as a percentage I cannot understand how 8% = €20 = more than the cost of hiring the car. By its very nature, the charge should surely be 8% of the cost of hire rather than 100%>?!
PGA

Postby Tjay » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:06 pm

Our rental in May-firefly of 5 euros, full/full - no airport surcharge.
Husbands rental in June-interent of 80 euros, full/full. 22 euros charged at airport.
We will see next week what we are charged with firefly on a 35 euro rental, whether the 8% is charged on rental alone and/or fuel and any extras like insurance.
We’ve still had very cheap rentals and are very satisfied but can never really get to the bottom of these changes in charging.
Tjay

Postby PGA » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:38 pm

You and me both! I’ve no doubt the hidden charges and randomness are part of the plan to baffle. It’s a frustration as the ‘no hidden charges’ companies are often a lot higher priced than these sort of companies so as much as I’d like to always use the more upfront, even after these add ons the dirt cheap ones end up cheaper. It’s simply the frustration of the price escalation for often charges that don’t make a great deal of sense or consistency applied.
PGA