Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

EHIC card

EHIC card

Postby 1918johnh » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi,I have a holiday home near Quesada and hold duel citizenship, having a UK and Irish passport.
I have an EHIC card which I applied for in the UK.
My question is, can I use the EHIC card with my Irish passport in an emergency or do I need to apply for another card in Ireland.
1918johnh

Re: EHIC card

Postby marcliff » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:31 pm

1. Dual citizenship unless they are fighting each other.
2. An EHIC is issued by the country you are resident in. If you are resident in Ireland you should get one from there. If resident in UK then get one from there.
3. When you use an EHIC the country issuing the card gets the bill hence why you should get it from the country you are resident in and pay taxes to.
4. If you have a UK and an Irish passport, why confuse the issue by mixing them?
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby GLASSMAN » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:46 am

also on the card ,it states , make sure you have valid travel insurance, as a lot of people rely solely on the card,
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby Shiva » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:21 am

1918johnh wrote:Hi,I have a holiday home near Quesada and hold duel citizenship, having a UK and Irish passport.
My question is, can I use the EHIC card with my Irish passport in an emergency or do I need to apply for another card in Ireland.
Shiva

Postby Shiva » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:27 am

1918johnh wrote:Hi,I have a holiday home near Quesada and hold duel citizenship, having a UK and Irish passport.

You will have no problem using a UK EHIC with your Irish passport. You have to present your passport along with your EHIC when seeking treatment as a visitor but it doesn't matter if you present your Irish or British passport. I have done precisely that in the past ( UK EHIC with Irish passport) when needing treatment when here as a visitor.
Shiva

Postby Paulr » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:39 pm

I'm sure Shiva is technically correct, but morally it wouldn't be right to use a UK-issued EHIC if you're resident in Ireland and paying taxes there. Why should the UK pick up the bill for your emergency healthcare in Spain, unless you're paying tax there? Once the UK has left the EU, the UK-issued EHIC will become invalid anyway, so I'd suggest it would make sense to apply for an Irish-issued EHIC sooner rather than later.
Paulr

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera

Postby New boy in town » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Particularly saddened by the flippant and unwelcome comment about fighting with each-other in response to what was an honest question. It’s obvious that many on here are totally unaware of the constitutional settlement for those of NI origin who, under the terms of the Belfast Agreement signed by the British and Irish Governments that they can hold either, or both passports without impact on their rights. Holding a UK EHIC, when a UK resident, but an Irish Passport is totally legal.
New boy in town

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Raso

Postby Shiva » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:20 pm

Paulr wrote:I'm sure Shiva is technically correct, but morally it wouldn't be right to use a UK-issued EHIC if you're resident in Ireland and paying taxes there. Why should the UK pick up the bill for your emergency healthcare in Spain, unless you're paying tax there? Once the UK has left the EU, the UK-issued EHIC will become invalid anyway, so I'd suggest it would make sense to apply for an Irish-issued EHIC sooner rather than later.

Hi Paulr , nothing really to do with morality or even technicality - you wouldn't be granted a UK EHIC if you weren't entitled to one, and you are only entitled to one if you are resident in the UK. If you are resident in the UK you certainly wouldn't be entitled to an Irish EHIC, you could only get that if you lived in Ireland ( Republic of ) . The issue was can you use a UK EHIC with an Irish passport, yes of course. The UK has recognised your right to have a UK EHIC, the passport is more just to confirm your identity. Hence you can use whatever passport you want. You don't have to produce a British passport as the right to an EHIC and the right to a citizenship are two different things.

It may be more of a common question for people with dual nationality to ask but I am sure it is perfectly possible for eg a French citizen resident in the UK and hence holding a UK EHIC to be visiting Spain and need to use their UK EHIC with their French passport etc.
Shiva

Postby Shiva » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:46 pm

New boy in town wrote:Particularly saddened by the flippant and unwelcome comment about fighting with each-other in response to what was an honest question. It’s obvious that many on here are totally unaware of the constitutional settlement for those of NI origin who, under the terms of the Belfast Agreement signed by the British and Irish Governments that they can hold either, or both passports without impact on their rights. Holding a UK EHIC, when a UK resident, but an Irish Passport is totally legal.

To be fair, I don't think Marcliff was deliberately making as controversial a point as that, more that he was just joking around the mis-spelling of 'Duel' instead of 'Dual' . I really don't think he meant it the way you read it.

In general most UK people outside of NI don't realise the importance of the Good Friday Agreement , an internationally binding treaty, which - as you say - includes the legally enshrined right for NI born people to be recognised as British or Irish or both ( And many indeed feel like both. ) But as has sadly been all too obvious over the past year the UK politicians don't have a foggiest either and are still behaving ostrich-like in regard to it, hence all the bluff and bluster about 'solving the Irish backstop' etc etc so hard to blame the ordinary citizen for not grasping the complexity . After all there's a NI Secretary of State who had to admit she didn't even realise people in NI didn't' vote 'Labour', ' Tories', 'Lib Dem' like the rest of the UK . And that was after she'd been in the job for months.

The EHIC though is simple. Resident in the UK ( AND NORTHERN IRELAND IS IN THE UK) you get a UK EHIC and use it with whatever passport you have or choose to have. Until post Brexit of course when it might not exist anymore and visitors will have to be sure they have travel insurance .
Shiva

Postby marcliff » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:01 pm

New boy in town wrote:Particularly saddened by the flippant and unwelcome comment about fighting with each-other in response to what was an honest question. It’s obvious that many on here are totally unaware of the constitutional settlement for those of NI origin who, under the terms of the Belfast Agreement signed by the British and Irish Governments that they can hold either, or both passports without impact on their rights. Holding a UK EHIC, when a UK resident, but an Irish Passport is totally legal.

Flippant of course. Just pointing out that a duel is something when two people fight each other. Dual is both.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Next