Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Bank / Car embargo

Bank / Car embargo

Postby Estepona Phil » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:37 am

Morning all,
Looking for some advice please. We own a car in Spain & we received an email from our car insurance company Linea Directa saying we had an outstanding parking fine for supposed illegal parking in Marbella from a time we weren’t in Spain so not sure how that happened as the car was in a storage compound in Malaga Airport. We then got another email from Linea Directa saying we had a speeding ticket from 6 months previous which presumably was valid as we were in Spain at that time but because we didn’t receive the notification until several months after the offence as we were in the UK we lost the chance to pay at 50% . Now when arrived in Spain at the weekend we have a letter saying our car and/or bank account will be embargoed if we don’t pay 1080 euros. I’ve emailed our lawyer here & she’s said just pay as it’ll cost more to dispute & its not worth the hassle. So I decided just to bite the bullet & cough up however when I called Agencia Tributaria nobody in the office spoke English and unfortunately my Spanish is limited to small talk, it isn’t possible to pay online so I’m a bit stuck Could anyone possibly give advice with this please?
Estepona Phil

Which part of Spain are you from?: Estepona

Re: Bank / Car embargo

Postby Janjan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:56 am

We had a parking fine for a car park in the North of Spain. There was no way it was for us. We took advice to prove we weren't there. E.G. Landline Bill to prove we were here. Our Solicitor wrote a letter for us to send to the Authorities. Your case is more complicated. Can you prove your car was in storage at that time because that would lessen the Bill. The speeding ticket is different. What happened to the first Correspondence. You'll need somebody to check your post in Future.
Janjan

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada area

Postby Janjan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:02 am

Somebody on here said you can pay speeding fines at the Bank. We paid at the Post Office. You need the paper work to look at first. The Parking letter was sent to the Authorities where the offence took place.
Janjan

Postby Estepona Phil » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:10 am

The initial speeding correspondence was never received, the insurance company provide a service that checks something online that highlights unpaid traffic offences that’s the first we knew of it We can provide proof the car was in storage from the parking co but we’ve been told by a lawyer that the car is yours therefore it’s your responsibility and someone else may have used it without your permission so basically tough luck! It stinks but can’t really see a way forward without incurring further costs
Estepona Phil

Postby marcliff » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:11 am

You can pay at a post office if you have the paperwork with a barcode on it.

You can also pay on line at the DGT website which ishere
You need the reference number on the paperwork to do that.

Don't use that storage company again.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Thatch1 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:35 am

I would be tempted to get in touch with the storage company and see if they will pay the fine. If not, I would threaten them with posting your story on many forums in the area!
Thatch1

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales Hills X1

Postby Estepona Phil » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:50 am

Will try on the DGT website thanks. The storage company are used on an ongoing basis & paid annually so can’t switch overnight but in their defence we always check the mileage when dropping off & collecting to make sure our cars not being used as a runaround & there are always minimal miles on.
Estepona Phil

Postby Janjan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:53 pm

So what did the storage company say about the Parking Fine. If they deny it it might be a mistake like ours but they should help you to resolve it by stating it wasn't possible.
Janjan

Postby camionpilot » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:00 pm

Or some one knows your car is parked for a considerable time and has " borrowed " or cloned your no plates to go swanning around the countryside risk free …!!!
camionpilot

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

Postby Estepona Phil » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:18 pm

Hopefully not but not impossible
Estepona Phil

Next