Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Driving route to Calais from Quesada

Driving route to Calais from Quesada

Postby Crumpet » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:14 pm

Can anyone tell me please if you can get to Calais from quesarda
just by going on the motorway as I don’t want to go through Paris or up mountains. Never done this journey before. Also do you have to book the euro tunnel train in advance? Are their pet friendly places on the way and plenty of petrol stations. Sorry to ask all these questions but I’m a lady driver and a bit nervous about doing it but I need to my husband doesn’t drive.
Would really appreciate help with this.
Crumpet

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Driving route to Calais from Quesarda

Postby Chrisdee » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:41 pm

Haven't you already asked this question last week and got lots of replies?
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Babu » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:55 pm

Valencia, zaragossa, Pamplona Bordeaux, Potiers, Rouen, Calais... 95% Motorway/toll.. Bottlenecks, Valencia & Bordeaux(worse than M25) around €320 for tolls, diesel and tunnel, accommodation extra.. 2 overnight stops means 8 hours /day driving with breaks.. Go on via Michelin website for route.. Can't advise on pets but definitely cheaper to book tunnel and accommodation as far in advance as possible.. Tunnel allows several hours leeway on arrival.
Babu

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Raso

Postby Babu » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:03 pm

Fuel prices on Spanish motorways not too pricey so top up after Pamplona as French motorway prices are stupidly high.. If possible use Google etc to plan stop at supermarket fuel station close to motorway in France..
Babu

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Raso

Postby Thatch1 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:06 pm

Drive up through Valencia, Barcelona, Lyon, Dijon.
Thatch1

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales Hills X1

Postby Edthassos » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:11 am

Why not look into the cost of getting a ferry from Santander to Portsmouth or Plymouth. If you take into account the cost of petrol, tolls and hotels for overnight stops plus the length of the drive for one person it may prove worthwhile. If you do decide to drive all the way to Calais do use a satnav especially for getting through Bordeaux and Rouen.
Edthassos

Postby camionpilot » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:18 am

Keep to the west side of France ..only one toll and that's around Bordeaux .
camionpilot

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

Postby GrahamR » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:40 pm

Driving from Calais to Quesada once a year since 2012 and having driven virtually every route West, down the middle and the East, my advice is to take the Somport Tunnel under the Pyrenees. The tunnel is about 5 miles long and has a total of 4 lanes - 2 each way. It is modern and free and takes about 5 minutes to drive through. If you have a dislike for tunnels just do a ‘drive through’ on YouTube video and you will see it is well lit and modern.
So from Calais it is about 19 hours driving. We use the drive as part of the holiday and only drive between 4 and 7 hours a day, arriving in a medieval town and enjoying the late afternoon and evening there. Stop 1) somewhere along the Loire River in places like Saumur, Chinon or Anboise. Stop 2) Bordeaux area such as St Emilion or Bergerac. Then through the Somport Tunnel and then stop at Huesca or Zaragoza. Finally drive to Quesada.
An important point is that the road between the Somport Tunnel and Quesada is all motorway and there are no tolls. So the only tolls will be on the French side.
Of course, you could do the trip in 2 stops before but you will be driving for 10 hours a day before adding breaks. OK if you have 2 drivers, but we prefer to enjoy the stopovers.
I hope this helps.
GrahamR

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Crumpet » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:48 pm

Thank you, you don’t go through mountains or through Paris do you.
Crumpet

Postby Niktam » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:51 pm

GrahamR wrote:Driving from Calais to Quesada once a year since 2012 and having driven virtually every route West, down the middle and the East, my advice is to take the Somport Tunnel under the Pyrenees. The tunnel is about 5 miles long and has a total of 4 lanes - 2 each way. It is modern and free and takes about 5 minutes to drive through. If you have a dislike for tunnels just do a ‘drive through’ on YouTube video and you will see it is well lit and modern.
So from Calais it is about 19 hours driving. We use the drive as part of the holiday and only drive between 4 and 7 hours a day, arriving in a medieval town and enjoying the late afternoon and evening there. Stop 1) somewhere along the Loire River in places like Saumur, Chinon or Anboise. Stop 2) Bordeaux area such as St Emilion or Bergerac. Then through the Somport Tunnel and then stop at Huesca or Zaragoza. Finally drive to Quesada.
An important point is that the road between the Somport Tunnel and Quesada is all motorway and there are no tolls. So the only tolls will be on the French side.
Of course, you could do the trip in 2 stops before but you will be driving for 10 hours a day before adding breaks. OK if you have 2 drivers, but we prefer to enjoy the stopovers.
I hope this helps.

Could you please add some more detail as never looked at /found this route and coming down a fortnight next Thursday. Leave after work on Thursday and already booked in at Chartres as get there about 1 am on Friday morning. I thought you had to climb the mountains!

Thanks N
Niktam

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Next

Return to Quesada general discussion