Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Travelling to Algorfa from Roscoff

Travelling to Algorfa from Roscoff

Postby Chrisdeano » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:56 am

Looking for any tips, ideas and recommendations of places to stop overnight while travelling from Roscoff to Algorfa.

Thank you.
Chrisdeano

Which part of Spain are you from?: Algorfa

Re: Travelling to Algorfa from Roscoff

Postby Thatch1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:44 am

I do this journey 3 times per year, and I would recommend 2 overnight stops.

Travel south down the Atlantic coast via Rennes and Nantes down to the Bordeaux area for your first overnight stop. Roughly a 6.5 hour journey. Bordeaux has a pedestrian only city centre. We stayed at the Mama Shelter hotel within this area. (you need to book a car park space, and also get a password to enter your car into the pedestrian area of they city).
Next day travel into Spain near Bayonne down to Pamplona, Zaragoza to Teruel, about another 6.5 hour journey. We liked the Parador De Teruel.
The last days drive takes you down to Valencia (use the ring road around Valencia),down to Elda, Elche and Algorfa. This last day is only a 3.5 hour journey, which gives you time to open up your property and the go and do some shopping.
Thatch1

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales Hills X1

Postby Chrisdeano » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:38 pm

Thank you very much for that. We were thinking 1st stop Bordeaux, and then not sure but you have been very helpful.
Chrisdeano

Postby Calledali » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:32 pm

The route is good, but a lovely drive from Bordeaux is via Pau, Oloron Sainte Marie, Jaca, Zaragoza to Teruel.
About the same travelling time but much prettier and less traffic
Calledali

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Fiesta, Quesada

Postby Thatch1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:58 pm

Yes Calledali, your route is a good one, and more scenic, but it it is more mountainous, and take 7hours 24mins, which is a long drive in one day.
Thatch1

Postby Thatch1 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:02 pm

Hi again. I am driving down to Spain next week, which has reminded me of something I should have mentioned in my original reply. France has become very aware of the air quality in their country, and as such have introduced controls in most of their cities. If you go onto the RAC website, and search on "CRIT'Air vignettes, it will tell you all about it. Basically, they are clamping down on cars with poor emissions.

You have to fill in a form (found on the RAC website) with all the details of your car, and email it to the French Govt, together with a couple of copies of your V5C. It cost about £3.

About 8 days later, you will receive an envelope with one of 7 coloured disks in it. You have to place this disk in the bottom righthand corner of your windscreen.

This alerts carpark attendants and police in French cities,and dictates on whether or not your car is allowed there with your emissions. I believe there is a fine if you do not display one of these disks!
Thatch1

Postby A.N.Other » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:05 am

Excellent point about Crit Air vignettes however it's not confined to just cities as some French departments https://www.crit-air.fr/en.html have adopted the scheme department wide and that means in times of high pollution, and with very little notice, they can impose a ban on certain groups of vehicles entering or driving in them at all.

This can be a particular problem where an Autoroute passes through a department as without an appropriate vignette you could find your journey coming to an abrupt halt then face finding an alternative route which might quite literally add many hundreds of km to it!

I would strongly advise anyone contemplating driving in France, particularly in high season and French national holiday times, to not only obtain a vignette but in the case of older cars acquaint themselves with the levels of potential restriction they might encounter along their chosen routes with their class of vignette.

There is a table here https://www.crit-air.fr/fileadmin/_proc ... 9a63c3.png describing which vignettes apply to which vehicles from which you'll see that in the worst cases vehicles as little as 8 years old could face bans.
A.N.Other

Which part of Spain are you from?: Almoradi

Postby Chrisdeano » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:13 am

does this include spanish reg cars or are they just being French and targeting British reg cars???
Chrisdeano

Postby polop » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:26 am

No need to be paranoid, all cars, you find most European countries are now bringing this in.
polop

Which part of Spain are you from?: La finca