Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

phone calls from India

phone calls from India

Postby Roy and Mo Williams » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:04 am

I have been getting regular phone calls which I think come from our friends in India, asking for me to switch my computer on as I have a problem, they say when you switch it on we will show you the problem, then fix it for you. What my question is has anybody actually fell for this scam, or know of someone else that has gone along with it, it has got to be very lucrative,because other operators can be heard in the background, the one that I received yesterday came just as we were leaving our home to go shopping, when I was asked to put my computer on I asked them to wait a minute, went to the shops and left the phone out of the cradle. I take it that they install a virus into your pc then request a payment to rectify it.
Roy and Mo Williams

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Re: phone calls from India

Postby Chrisdee » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:38 am

I don't know anybody who has fell for it, I'm always reminding my parents about these scams but they can sound so convincing. I had yet another one yesterday morning, I told them I was so happy they could help me and by helping me it was for them to F%%K off, she then said, you have a problem with your husband go F%%K your dog and put the phone down. Just best to put the phone down to start with now I reckon rather than waste your breath.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Andrew Hardy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:40 am

A friend took them along the process just to find out what the scam was. They didn't access his computer, nor ask to do so, as his wasn't even switched on! What they asked was if he could see certain things on his screen (which he said he could), and they informed him that his computer had indeed been infected.
What they then wanted to do (HERE"S THE SCAM) was compensate him. To do which, they needed his bank details so they could transfer the compensation directly into his account.
He obviously declined their very generous offer but had at least discovered their intentions.
Andrew Hardy

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benijofar

Postby SharonSpain » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:35 am

The last one I had spent 19 minutes talking to my tv as I'd placed the receiver right in front of it.
SharonSpain

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Terry the gardener » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:18 pm

I set off a personal attack alarm and place it on the phone ..gives them ear ache like they give me ..
Terry the gardener

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby grichn » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:53 pm

I had the same thing. Went onto Google and asked for the most obscene insult that I could offer an Indian. I´ve used it twice with excellent results, with apologies to any Indian logged on, it is:

SABSE BURA APMAAN preferably in a Peter Sellers accent.....

Keep it by the phone.
Richard
grichn

Which part of Spain are you from?: crevillent

Postby Chrisdee » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:03 pm

Just google translated it and it don't look very insulting ?
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby bbrich » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:38 am

I fell for one! In the UK though. They pretended to be from BT. Very convincing. She claimed my router was being used to access dodgy sites without my knowledge. She quoted dates and times - all of which were whilst I was working away, so it seemed plausible. She transferred me to the "Technical Advisor" and he knew my phone number, account number, BT contract renewal dates, etc. etc. Everything except the actual passwords. They must have been ex-BT Call Centre people because they knew all the lingo and the software he downloaded onto my computer had all the BT Logos, fonts, style - the lot. It was real, I thought. I asked for credentials of some kind that he could email to me and that's when he started getting shirty. "We're doing you a favour" sort of thing. It now didn't feel right and when they asked about banking details I cut them off.
I work with IT by the way. I'm a more than fairly competent user.
I immediately phoned BT and, after being on hold for 20mins and then being transferred to another number and then being transferred to their Security Team (who are based in the UK judging by their accents) and then waiting for them to phone me back, we got down to the business of changing passwords. No damage done and I knew how to completely rid my hard drive of the software they had downloaded. So I was safe.
Its my belief that this scam started when I joined the BT Fon Community, which I asked BT Security to take me out of right away. They didn't argue.
This all took place a couple of years ago and I've had no trouble since until about two months ago. I upgraded to BT Fiber which required the installation of a new router. Within an hour of installing the new router I received another scam call claiming my router had been hacked. That was too much of a coincidence... its got to be something to do with BT Fon I thought... but I'd got out of Fon two years back?
Be warned. BT's Routers have scripts (programs) inside them that automatically join or re-join the user to BT Fon on initialisation. I don't like that. And its not straightforward to get yourself out of BT Fon either. Unless you're fairly proficient with computing you'd probably fail. Its one of those systems that, even though your profile tells you its OFF, it can still be ON and in order to turn it OFF you've first got to turn it ON, reboot, then turn it OFF again and reboot. Honestly.
I've had more BT Scams than any others. Either through email or through phone calls. All have been very convincing. So be careful out there, and back home as well.
bbrich

Postby TerryG » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:34 am

If you don`t recognise the number then don`t answer it, especially if it not a Spanish one.

" I have been getting regular phone calls which I think come from our friends in India " .. Surely once would have been enough to know that it`s a scam so why keep answering the phone. !!

You only need to Google ... `Indian phone call scammers ` ... to see how widespread it is worldwide.
TerryG

Postby Mac3blade » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:58 am

I think most people get these calls on a regular basis.
I had one on Friday afternoon and played along with her. She became very angry when Zi told her that Zi hadn’t actually had a computer for years and in truth couldn’t even work one. She was insistent that I had a licence number...probably my iPad but I then said that I think we had thrown the computer out as we are old and have no use for it. She wasn’t very happy and told me that I was a DUMB OLD WOMAN AND HUNG UP........a successful ending.

I am sick and fed up with them calling .
I get calls from people in the U.K. asking about a recent car accident I was involved in...dreadful to think that we are encouraged to put claims in ....no wonder the cost of motor insurance is so high.

Keep them talking and waste their time...that will soon stop them calling your number.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Next